Appliance Whip to Bath Exhaust Fan

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by sjsmithjr, Nov 4, 2013.

1. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

Although it is secured (stapled) within 12 inches of the connector, I'm not crazy about the routing of the NM-B to the exhaust fan as shown in the attached pic. Running the NM-B back over the top of the fan housing doesn't seem like a great idea to me either. Considered adding a 1x4 raceway but the fan exhaust is in the way. Would there be anything wrong with running an appliance whip over the top of the housing to a junction box mounted to the engineered truss and then running NM-B from there? Just seems like it would be safer. (Also - If you look closely there is a knock out plug missing. It will be replaced.)

Thanks,

Sam

bath exhaust.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I think I would leave it like that before I would introduce another splice into the circuit.
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

What do you think is wrong????????
  4. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

Technically, nothing; it's run the way I was taught to do it. But I was looking at it and being on the gable end of the house I could see someone shooting a 16d (wrong nail for the trim but...) and nicking the sheathing. Move the NM back in and it's not 1 1/4 of the edge of the top plate. I'll leave it as is. Thanks!
  5. jwelectric

be sure to put the cover back on
  6. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

As soon as the rough-in inspection is complete I'll get right on that. Thanks for keeping me from getting wrapped up around the axles.

-Sam
  7. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

It is fine as it is. There are hundreds of thousands of setups like that, that have passed. Personally with today's buildings, it would be better to do a remote unit, with duct into the bath, to isolate the noise of the fan, when it is running. Especially since you have a separate lighting fixture going up near the fan as it sits.
  8. Bobelectric

Bobelectric Electrical Contractor

How can you vent that?
  9. jwelectric

With a vent tube.