appliance gas shutoff valve accessiblity

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mdr, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mdr

mdr New Member

Hope I'm not violating forum protocol. I tried this in the upc code forum, but I don't think there's much traffic there, so I'm asking this here.

I'm rearranging a laundry room configuration and don't want to move a gas line fitting. CA code, based on the UPC, requires an appliance gas shutoff valve be "accessible":

What does accessible mean? Is an appliance gas shutoff valve adjacent to the appliance (stacked w/d) but within a sink cabinet considered accessible?

Thanks,
    Murray
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

>>>What does accessible mean? Is an appliance gas shutoff valve adjacent to the appliance (stacked w/d) but within a sink cabinet considered accessible?<<<

It should be o.k., it's done offen in kitchens where the appliance needs a remote shut-off.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Only potential problem is this is in California which is known for having laws found nowhere else in the Universe! Better check with His Royal Highness, the Inspector to be on the legal side. The safe side does not necessarily compute to legal in CA.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Accessible means that you can "get to it" without having to move the appliance it is connected to, or any other,, since you do not want to have to move a burning appliance to shut the gas off in case of a fire.
  5. mdr

mdr New Member

Thank you all. It seemed reasonable, but I wanted to have the perspective of someone with greater experience. As shacko says, it's often done in kitchen installs, say a gas cooktop. However hj's comment concerns me as my gas range's shutoff is stubbed from the floor and hidden behind the range.

In any case, I'll check with the AHJ.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Wolf and Viking ranges, for example are IMPOSSIBLE for a single person to move so a valve behind them would normally NOT be accessible, although they might look like it to an inspector who doesn't know what kind of range is going into the space.