Apartment Hydronic Heating Noise Question

Users who are viewing this thread

isysj

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a quick question about a rattling noise coming from one of the pipes in my apartment heating system. I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to fix this noise before contacting my landlord.

As mentioned in the thread title, I believe this is a hydronic style heating system. I noticed that there is a slotted port on each of the individual pipes (see pic 2). Since this noise is only coming from one of the three pipes in my apartment, would it be possible that temporarily loosening this slotted port would fix the problem? Or would that choice be ill advised?

Also here is a link to an audio clip of the noise: https://soundcloud.com/user-773212262-853288491/rattling-sound

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 346

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
That part with the screw driver slot looks like an Air Bleeder Valve. If you open it, air will come out if air is in the system and then water will come out if the bleeder hole is not clogged up. It might help, but I'm not sure.

isysj

Reaction score
That part with the screw driver slot looks like an Air Bleeder Valve. If you open it, air will come out if air is in the system and then water will come out if the bleeder hole is not clogged up. It might help, but I'm not sure.
Ok, I think I will try this as long as there's nothing bad that could happen. Thank you!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Ok, I think I will try this as long as there's nothing bad that could happen. Thank you!

It sounds more like the pump driving the thing is beginning to fail than air in the system, but it doesn't hurt to bleed the system.

When the system is not running, put a shallow pan on top of a towel to catch the spray so you don't soak the rug. With a screwdriver turn the center screw counterclockwise a half-turn. If there's air in the system it'll hiss a bit, then sputter, then send a continuous thin stream of water out the tiny port coming out the side of the valve.

Re-tighten, then monitor for drips. When they're as old and crusty as that one the valve seats can be pitted from corrosion and have a hard time re-sealing. If that happens you can buy a replacement at a box-store for under $5, and pick up a roll of teflon tape for sealing the threads when you replace it. The replacement is best done with the system shut down and the zone isolated with valves, since you'll then have to bleed the air that got introduced when installing the new bleeder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks