AO Smith Vertrex

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
Hello,
My sister's electric water heater is needing replacement. Currently, only electric is run to the area, but natural gas is available. As there is no chimney nearby, I was considering installing a water heater with a power vent. I saw the Vertrex on Jay Leno and thought it was interesting, especially because it is supposed to be so efficient and doesn't have the obvious problems of a tankless. I was wondering if anyone approved of them?

Thanks,
Rob in St Louis

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does your sister already have a nat. gas service or, is it in the street?

If she doesn't have a service you may want to consider a heat pump water heater.

Fubar411

Reaction score
The house has natural gas. I don't know the flow for it, but there were nat gas lights out front at one time.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Natural gas is the way to go since you have gas to the house already. Power vents are great IMHO, their best feature is the venting is done with PVC pipe and can go through a wall to the outside rather than through the roof. I am currently using my second Rheem power vent, and most reports here tend to prefer Rheem/GE and Bradford White heaters. By all means avoid the Whirlpool units, they are terrible.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I'd like to know how effective hybrid/heat-pump heaters are at reducing the ambient humidity and cooling the surrounding air?

I'm in west central FL and my water heater is in the garage. The house is fully electric. In the summer months, the garage is extremely humid and in excess of 100 degrees. I'm interested in a heat-pump water heater for the simple fact that it could possibly make the garage more comfortable. Currently, it's virtually useless as a workshop in the summer months.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; their best feature is the venting is done with PVC pipe and can go through a wall to the outside rather than through the roof.

That is a manufacturer "suggestion", but NO PVC pipe manufacturer recommends using their pipe for a heater vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat pump

The heat pump would only cool the garage while it was heating the water, so unless you used a LOT of hot water, it might still be uncomfortable. It will be downright chilly in the wintertime.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'd like to know how effective hybrid/heat-pump heaters are at reducing the ambient humidity and cooling the surrounding air?

I'm in west central FL and my water heater is in the garage. The house is fully electric. In the summer months, the garage is extremely humid and in excess of 100 degrees. I'm interested in a heat-pump water heater for the simple fact that it could possibly make the garage more comfortable. Currently, it's virtually useless as a workshop in the summer months.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

In Florida a heat pump water heater is not going to help much in respect to cooling a garage. The a.c's can barely keep up. I doubt you would notice any difference unless you used alot of hot water throughout the day. BUT it would work VERY well at heating the water.
My feeling is it wouldn't run enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks