AO Smith Promax Overheat

Users who are viewing this thread

RileyFCooper

Reaction score
I have an AO Smith Promax Electric water heater. Yesterday it started to run super hot and it is tripping it's internal breaker. Does anyone know what would cause this ot how I can resolve it? The tank is maybe 4 or 5 years old.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
yourl lower element has gone out because it is buried in lime..Now the top element is doing all the work and has finally
gone terminal on you... When it gets super hot that is just like a light bulb when it gets brightest right before it goes out...

you need to have both your lower and upper elements changed out and the lime cleaned out of the heater....

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my AO Smith WH. I would see this overheat condition every week or couple of weeks (not daily). A "reset" of the unit restored things to normal for a while. I tried replacing the elements too, but it didn't fix the problem for good. I think maybe the inside of the heater had too much calcium and/rust build up. I didn't drain or flush the tank in the last 10 years of its life (it lasted 15 years). it felt like it had 6 inches of rock at the bottom.
I should have cut the tank open to see what it looked like inside but that was too much work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks