AO Smith Model GCV 40 100

Users who are viewing this thread

lmalnati

Reaction score
:confused:

On Friday my hot water tank blew. My local plumber came out and said even though it was a 6 year model it was broke due to "goop" lining the bottom of the tank. He sold me the above model for 645 with installation. In situations like this how does one determine what a reasonable cost is for installation. He said the tank was 345 and the the remaining was for labor.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I was cheated, but I felt pretty helpless in making this decision since I had no information available to me to make an informed choice.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
$345 for the tank is about right if it was something more than a 6 year warranty unit. That's a little high for a 6 year model. $300 for labor probably including a permit fee, some fittings, etc. is probalby average to slightly less than the average charge. ( I'm basing this on my area...San Diego) , costs do vary widely from area to area.

You didn't mention if this was gas or electric. Fed. safety standard implemented July 2003, and Federal energy standard implemented Jan 2004 have raised the cost of gas water heaters considerably...50 to 75 %.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Varies Greatly

Costs for the installation of water heaters varies greatly not only between markets but within markets. It's always best to check pricing. The new Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant heaters have gone up almost $100.00. Additional safety pan and discharge line requirements have also increased the cost. This normal 40 gallon gas water heater pricing would cost from $450.00 to $900.00 in my market.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Under Warranty

"even though it was a 6 year model"

If the water heater was under warranty, the plumber should have phoned in the model & serial number to the manufacturer to confirm if in fact it will be covered/replaced.

The "goop" that was lining the bottom of the tank would not come into factor on a leaking water heater when a warranty replacement unit is supplied. You would pay only handling charges (from the supply house) and an installation/removal charge from the licenced plumber, (plus a permit fee if applicable).

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Up Charge for VPIR

I attended a local plumbing association meeting last night with representatives from the five major water heater suppliers. They said on warranty claims they were charging for the additional cost of the VPIR heaters but giving a new 6 year warranty from that date.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks