AO Smith and Red (Rust) Water When Draining

Users who are viewing this thread

Milanomike

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts here, short story is:

- bought house in 1996 and brandy new AO Smith 40 gal gas heater was installed, worked till 2011. Good!

- bought new AO Smith 40 gal gas heater, installed, filled it, fired it up and it work till 3/2014 (leaked).

- I don't buy this stuff at HD, etc, but deal with a plumbing supply outfit, called them up and said it was leaking, they said bring receipt and we'll give you a new one. Good! Installed with new dielectric couplers, fill and fire it up.

- every now and then I drain a few buckets of water out of my heater and noticed the water was never clear with this unit, but today it was a rusty red, definitely not good, right?

- house has a large whole house sediment and carbon filter set up prior to water softener, all pipe is copper, only possible issue I can think of other than the AO Smith, might be the expansion tank, but I'm thinking the AO Smith is calling it a day.

So, I'm still under warranty, but it's not leaking yet. Thoughts on what the issue might be?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know about the warranty considerations. If you were not under warranty, I would suggest that you should try flushing your water heater.

The simple way is to put the WH into vacation mode. Drain the water heater completely. Open a hot water faucet to let air in for draining. Turn the water back on full for maybe 20 seconds, and turn off. Leave the drain open. Repeat the cycle several times. The point is to let the dip tube spray as vigorously as you can on the debris at the bottom in an attempt to wash out sediment. This method is harder than releasing a couple of buckets, but not that hard.

I would also suggest you replace the anode. If your hot water smells, say so.

Or just replace the water heater if you prefer.

Do you know your pH? If you do not, and this is from a well, I suggest you get a good water test.

Milanomike

Reaction score
Reach4,

Thanks for info.

Not on well water and no smell either.

Probably won't get to mess with it till mid week. I'll keep an eye on it.

Milanomike

Reaction score
Well a few posts down is another hot water heater with rust, probably worse than mine. Replies indicate bad news, heater will need to be replaced. Thinking I'll look for a different manufacturer if it comes to replacing it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There really aren't all that many factories that make WH, so what's got one name on it, may be the same as one with another. So, a little research on the one you're having issues with, may mean choosing a different brand, even if it has a different name on it.

FWIW, some dielectric unions can end up rusting if they have an issue.

Milanomike

Reaction score
OK, talked to the good guys at the plumbing supply. They have a flexible anode I can install, confirmed they see this with house with water softeners.

However, the existing one is on there pretty darn tight, tapping the breaker bar didn't do diddly. Thinking it might be OK to use my impact wrench on this puppy to get it out? Or is this my bad idea of the day? Thanks for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
1-1/8 impact wrench while the WH is full of water.

When you put the new anode in, don't use nearly as much torque. I think some teflon tape and about 15 lb-ft I think. I used less than that. The threads will cut through the teflon giving good electrical contact.

But while the anode is out, that gives you a chance to play a stream of water through the hole. I alternated water through the hole with turning on the feed full and off. Let the tank drain after each blast.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Good luck on a 9-year old WH. Just taking out a 9-year old anode rod will break the glass lining around there from the torque and impacts required. Not as big a deal if done when new and reinstalled with tape, but probably not a great idea on an old one that is already exhibiting signs of rust. Sacrificial anodes work, but they have limits. Once the lining is compromised enough so that you get lots of rust out of the tank, it's probably too late.

A new anode isn't a lot of money, so you can certainly try. Just don't twist the existing connections. Let us know how it works out. You may get lucky. Personally, I'd put that money towards a new tank. Average life on most gas-fired ones is 7-years, but that's an average, could be lots less or lots more.

FWIW, while people call the tape Teflon(tm), Dupont, the owner of that trademark, never sold the plumbing tape or the furnished raw materials to make it...it is the same material (PTFE), but not made by Dupont, so it is not Teflon(tm). SOrt of like calling all tissues Kleenex(tm) or all cellophane tape Scotch(tm) tape, or a rubber plumbing connector a Fernco(TM). Xerox(tm) gets annoyed when you call a copy a Xerox as well!

Milanomike

Reaction score
Reach4,

thanks for the great input, will give it a go Sat, my supplier has the sausage link anode. Will hit it with the impact wrench, my plan is to just get it loose then hand turn it out. Thinking all I'll see is a rusty rod when I pull it out.

Jadnashua,

thanks for your thoughts, the tank is only 18 mos old, not 9 years, so odds go way up. Yeah, we all know Teflon is a name that is trademarked by E.I. Dupont. Use in an open forum is fine as we are not infringing on anyones trademark or livelihood.

Milanomike

Reaction score
OK, new anode installed, old one was pretty much gone. Flushed tank, all is well for the moment, will monitor.

Read the AO Smith manual, tucked way in the back is info if you have softener and what to do, i.e. change anode once per year and flush 2x per year. Hopefully, caught it in time, got big tag on tank with yesterdays date of anode install to remind me. Thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks