AO Smith 40 gal gas WH isn't producing much hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitch8

Reaction score
I have an old 40 gal gas AO Smith Conservationist SubChamber WH model PGCS that doesn't put out enough hot water to last one 10 minute shower. I say old because it came with the house that I purchased 10 years ago. I have never replaced the anode (just found out about them on this site), but I do drain some of the water at least once or twice a year until the water comes out clear. From what I have read the new water heaters are not made as well as the older ones so I would like to try to fix my existing heater before buying a new one. Can anyone suggest what may be causing this issue, and maybe how to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks - any advice is greatly appreciated,
Mitch

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check the serial number to determine how old it is.
As the years go by, you can wind up with sediment in the tank, reducing volume. Any gas water heater over ten years of age doesn't warrant much work. It could go anytime.

Mitch8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. I'm surprised to hear that that much sediment would collect on the bottom and reduce the volume of the tank - whodathunkit? The serial number is MK88-0061548-202. I'm not sure how to determine the date of manufacture...could this unit have been made in 1988??!!

Mitch8

Reaction score
I'm not sure when the house was built - I think it was around 1964.

Smooky - Thanks for the link on interpreting the serial number. If I am reading this right my water heater was built in 1988. That's 28 years ago. I've never heard of a water heater lasting that long. None of my past heaters lasted much more than 10 years. So I guess I'm living on borrowed time here. Funny, no leaks or anything, just not enough hot water for more than one shower. And I would hazard a guess that the anode probably has never been replaced before - and is probably non-existent by now - go figure.

Mitch8

Reaction score
Hi Widgit Maker!

Thanks for the suggestion. The way I understand it the dip tube provides the cold water near the bottom of the heater, right? A couple of questions for you: How would this account for having less hot water available? In order to check it I would have to disconnect the cold water supply and remove the dip tube...what should I be looking for? is this a replaceable part?

ps - so I guess having much older water heaters is not too unusual. Must have something to do with the water supply - my other homes went through water heaters almost every 10 years.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
To replace, yes your remove the cold water input piping. Pull out the remnants of the old dip tube and replace. They tend to break and disintegrate over time. Without a dip tube the incoming cold water will travel direct across the top of the tank to the hot water out piping.
Remember dip tubes are plastic. Don't solder within 18 inches.
While you are at it you should replace the anode rod.
Maybe that will make the water heater will last long enough for you to make some money on this rental.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My AO Smith is about the same age. If it is installed where a leak would cause damage to the home, it is time to consider a replacement. If it is in an unfinished basement with a drain or similar situation, then a tank failure is pretty inconsequential, and one might elect to see how much longer it will go.

Mitch8

Reaction score
Thanks Guys - appreciate the comments and the guidance. I'll try the dip tube replacement first and see if it helps before I bother with the anode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks