Anything new in the PEX vs copper debate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Once again, I've been trying to research this topic only to find most of the discussions to be 5 or more years old. Anything new that would sway me towards using PEX other than "everyone's using it now"? Apologies in advance if I'm simply beating the same dead horse...

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex started to be used in Europe in the 50's...one of the original manufacturer's was Wirsbo (Uphonor now). There's over a billion feet of the stuff installed. There are three (that I know of) manufacturing methods producing stuff in types -A, -B, and -C. Wirsbo only makes -A. Some manufacturers may not have been making it for long, or just put their name on it made by someone else. As a result, they have little history...but, as a product, assuming you get it from an established manufacturer and install it properly, it works long-term. Fail in quality control or manufacturing technique, and any can fail. Uphonor not only manufactures the tubing, but the raw materials as well, so they can control their quality all the way through the process. Type -A is the most flexible, the smallest minimum turn radius, and the only type that can be restored if it gets kinked for any reason...the others require you to cut out the kink and insert a fitting. So, you not only have choices in type of material, you have to pick a quality manufacturer.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got an expander and a roll of the Uponor. Used it in the unfinished part of my basement to run a line to a hose bib on the far side of my house. Been about a year now...hasn't leaked. Got a short section of "sharkbite" brand from the HD installed with a sharkbite fitting on one end, and a crimp fitting on the other end...no leaks there either. I look at them all the time waiting for signs of failure. Probably will never happen...

And what about the stories of rats & mice eating it?!?!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not just stories, for real. I had several coils of PEX tubing rat-chewed pretty good. It was in an old storage garage full of varmits. Anything else plastic in there
also got gnawed on.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nothing much new. Pex is still crap and copper is still a quality product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks