Anyone use a Watts 80 ballcock thermal expansion valve?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by imac567, Dec 1, 2012.

1. imac567

imac567 New Member

As an alternative to an expansion tank the Watts 80 is recommended for pressure relief when connected to a closed system (county or city water). Anyone use one? Do they work and how reliable are they? Thank you.
  2. zl700

zl700 DIY Senior Member

They waste water and fail, wasting even more water.
    Best choice to control thermal expansion is a potable water expansion tank pre charged properly at the water heater inlet.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

FWIW, a properly operating expansion tank does not waste water, a pressure relief valve will. An ET helps to maintain a more even pressure, an relief valve only puts a top limit on it, not hold it to a more proper level. A relief valve may be a good backup, but they can fail as can an ET, then you have nothing to prevent overpressure and potential leaks. Personally, I would not use one as my primary closed system solution.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

There a very old, shop worn saying, "If is ain't broke, don't fix it". I think that applies very well to this question. A thermal expansion tank works very well, does not waste water, is easily replaces when it fails, and is inexpensive. Why go look for an alternative?
  5. imac567

imac567 New Member

I see your points, all of them... I'm looking at an Amtrol ST-5 2 gallon, looks good because I really wanted a lined tank, for corrosion reasons. If anyone knows of a better one, Please let me know. Thank you.:) By the way is there a certain distance it has to be installed from the hot water heater? I'd like it to be in my outside pump room just after the pressure regulator.
  6. jadnashua

It can be installed anywhere on the cold supply side after the PRV. But, there should be no shutoff valve between the WH and the new expansion tank. This is to ensure it can do its thing when the WH starts to run. They don't last forever, but do last a number of years. Adjust the precharge to your static water pressure before installation.
  7. imac567

imac567 New Member

PRV? Pressure Regulating Valve?
  8. jadnashua

Pressure reduction valve or whatever is causing your system to be a closed system (could be a check valve).
    There should be no valve between the ET and the WH.