Anyone know what this city side Main Water Shut-off Valve's parts are?

Users who are viewing this thread

DesignerRants

Reaction score
2 Questions:
1.) Anyone know what this Main Water Shut-off Valve's parts are?
2.) Good place to order them online?

Anyone familiar with the names of these fittings, and how they go together? I don't understand if I'm looking at one 90degree stop valve with a compression fitting x female thread, OR if the valve is a separate part number from the compression fitting part and they mate? If anyone can tell me what I'm looking for and even where to get it, I'd really appreciate it.

I attached a couple of notated pics. If I can figure out these parts I'll try to do it myself and change it out for a ball valve. Otherwise, I'll have to call a plumber.

I shut the water off to finish a repair on a ruptured sill cock (left hose on through the winter), and actuating that main shut-off valve has made the leak worse. I didn't try tightening the nut because this valve has so much mineralization, I don't know if it's going to break or make the leak much worse if I start messing with it. It's now spraying even a little. This is still not an alarming leak, and so I am thinking about replacing the valve if I can source the parts.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Basement water meter main shut off valve leaking 2.jpg

Basement water meter main shut off valve leaking 1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The valve is NOT a male thread, so the "slip fitting" is either part of the valve or has a male thread. As for "parts" forget it. Things like that are "throwaway" items and you just replace them IF you can find a replacement. In your case I doubt that you will find a replacement and will have to redo it. That valve is NOT an approved one for a main shutoff anyway.

DesignerRants

Reaction score
In some areas, the pipe from the main to the house, and any valves, are the homeowner's responibility.

Bingo. I already called my my mayor (I live in a VERY small town), and it's my responsibility. It's his responsibility to come out and shut the water off at the curb when I'm ready to replace.

Thanks for the info, guys! I posted this at another DIY forum and... nothing. Then I googled for a PLUMBING-specific DIY forum, came here, and you are very responsive.

Replacement of the slip/compression x female valve is okay with me. I'd like to go with a ball valve. As you can see, the tubing coming into the house is flexible black tubing, so it looks like I'd need a compression x female valve assembly. Any suggestion on where to look (website) and what exactly to look for?

DesignerRants

Reaction score
I'm going to guess there is no such outlet in your small town and you're either stuck with ordering online or driving to the nearest city.

Bingo. I'm looking online, but I don't know what to narrow it down to.

I can click on "Valves>Ball Valves>..." but then if I go for compression fitting x 90 female, it's either not showing up, or it expects I'm looking for some standard PEX fitting, and I really don't know what that black tubing is. I think it's flexible black plastic, but it's probably as old as the house (mid-1970s), so does anyone know what fits that? Is it a composite tubing, like copper jacketed in plastic? Was this a common material? (see better pic below)

Looking for a more specific push in the right direction, because so far, bumbling around a plumbing supply website isn't getting me anywhere concrete.

I would do what I usually do, which is shut the water off, remove the part(s), and take them to a hardware store to find a similar part(s). But I can't do that without shutting off at the curb, and that may be a real inconvenience for my wife and young children, depending on how long it takes.

(more pics to show that black flexible tubing - anyone familiar with this material?)

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01848.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic. It could be lined soft copper or it could be poly. I would expect poly to have a larger OD so am guessing it is copper.

You don't have to go with a ballvalve that has all those attributes rolled up into one. You could go for a 3 piece solution instead.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I cannot be sure about the compression fitting, but after the valve, you could just turn with a street elbow rather than search for a valve that is 90 degree.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might try some variation on this search: " Ball" " Angle" " Service Valve"

I am also thinking that maybe you could get the water turned off temporarily, remove the union, and the see if you can unscrew the valve from the fitting beneath the valve. See what you have, and take measurements. Put it back together, and get the water turned on. Then seek parts. Finding a ball angle service valve with the same dimensions seems hard. Most big ball valves are straight rather than angle.

You might need to cut back your black plastic some, and put a new fitting on... don't know what that would take. But very accurate measurement of the OD might let somebody knowledgeable tell you what you need there. Also, a local plumber may often deal with that same situation and may give you the results you need much more efficiently.

I am mostly just guessing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Just scraped it and it's definitely plastic. On the outside at least. Flexible nylon or something? Maybe it's an early version of PEX? (mid 1970s)

If you try to put a gentle bend in it, does it spring back or retain its shape? That would tell you if it is copper or not.

As Reach4 suggested, maybe a local plumber would be your best bet. Surely they would have come across that before.

DesignerRants

Reaction score

Yeah, I'm thinking that AY Mcdonald valve might even be the same brand as mine, with the blue handle and that little cylinder bumpout....

But now I think I'm going to put a ball valve in.

I was thinking something either like this SLIP version:
http://catalog.muellercompany.com/viewdocument.ashx?t=d&i=934

Or like this COMPRESSION version:
http://catalog.muellercompany.com/viewdocument.ashx?t=d&i=1000

Is there a reason to choose one or the other, or just personal preference?

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a lot of companies that make valves. Most cities around here install and work on the meter and the water line to the meter. Your city may have minimum requirements for what can be installed. Go with an approved valve that works for your situation and is available in your area.

Here are some Ford Valves

http://www.fordmeterbox.com/product...ves&heading=Angle Key Meter Valves&table=KV43

http://www.fordmeterbox.com/catalog/g/gjpeg.pdf

http://www.fordmeterbox.com/product...&heading=Angle Ball Service Valves&table=BA41

DesignerRants

Reaction score
Go with an approved valve that works for your situation and is available in your area.

Thanks for the help.
-- Now that I figure out what I'm looking for (angled ball meter valve),
-- and I'm pretty sure of the size:
----- I went down and looked at the whole assembly again, and noticed a "3/4" on each fitting that comes out either side of the meter, and the meter has "5/8" cast on it's body, and I'm pretty sure the inlet tubing is 1",
----- so I think I need a 1" inlet x 3/4" outlet angled ball meter with PE SLIP FIT (or) COMPRESSION fit.

But now that I think I know what I want, I'm having trouble finding one for sale online, regardless of brand. Do you or anyone know a good online plumbing supply place?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks