Anyone know what neutralized boiler condensate contains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
We are on septic and the condensing boiler we are looking to put in will neutralize the output. However, we also have a mature apple tree with fruit we eat, that is close-to, and likely drinks from the septic leach field.

Any idea what neutralized boiler (natural gas) condensate contains and if there is any impact on bacteria in a septic system, when neutralized?

I did a quick search on this, but came up empty handed.

Thanks!

Rossn

Reaction score
Most use a rock- chat which is limestone. Here's one that should be good for septic.
Thank you, Fitter30. Those are good references. I believe the boiler we are considering will neutralize the waste.

That said, I believe the waste has more components than just water. Do you know?

Reach4

Reaction score
says The actual pH will vary
according to the actual chemical makeup of the fuel that is being burned. Condensate contains
different types of acids that are corrosive to many materials. The products of natural gas
combustion generally include nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides and hydrogen chloride, as well as
water vapor and carbon dioxide. Hydrogen chloride is a result of the combustion of chlorides.
These chlorides (salts) are contained in the combustion air. Taking combustion air from outside
generally reduces the amount of chlorides. Nitrogen oxides are a normal byproduct of
combustion; sulfur compounds are added to the natural gas in small amounts as an odorant.
Condensation of flue gas produces an acidic solution containing concentrations of nitric, nitrous,
sulfuric, and sulfurous and hydrochloric acids. These acids can become more concentrated by
repeated condensing and evaporation on heat exchangers and flues. Some say condensate from
natural gas appliances is no more acidic than vinegar, urine and some citrus juices. Although the
pH may be similar, it is a different type of acid and you can be certain no one is dumping
thousands of gallons of these liquids into their drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks