Anyone know of a plug or balloon for an ex. toilet & tub during DWV water test?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by kmuddzy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kmuddzy

kmuddzy New Member

Hi. I added an addition to an existing house with an existing bathroom. I had to connect the new plumbing to the old plumbing in such a way that I didn't have room to add a test tee before and after the existing toilet's plumbing connection to the main stack. Since the lack of a test tee prevents me from using a test balloon to separate the existing toilet, does anyone know of a plug or balloon that works inside an existing toilet and/or tub or do I need to remove the toilet for the test and reinstall with a new wax seal? Thanks!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Don't know if that exists. To my thinking, you would not want to subject the wax ring seal on that toilet to the pressure test. Even though we may only be talking about a very low test pressure, I don't think you want to do that to a wax ring.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The toilet's wax seal would NEVER hold the water test required. If would be a very unusual installation which could NOT be installed in such a was that it could not be isolated from the existing piping. You may be opening a can of worms if the existing piping is not leakproof. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the connection.
  4. kmuddzy

kmuddzy New Member

thanks, guys - makes sense...I never thought about 13psi blowing out a wax ring. The test Tees could probably be installed but will be very challenging since the pipe is rigid on both sides (it is a horizontal "main" in the basement with additional bends and wall mounts preventing it from moving). I would need to remove wall supports and use fernco fittings or some type of slip couplings to joing the test tees making it all very tight since the two wyes (old toilet and new toilet stack) are very close together.

The previous owners redid this plumbing 14 years ago and they installed fernco fittings immediately below the toilet flange and 12" above the tub trap. I will try to remove those fittings and then simply use rubber caps on the pipes. The space is tight for the toilet but if I can get to it I think that will be easier than pulling and reseating the toilet.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012