Anyone heard of a PVC joint holding for 11 months with no glue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geno

Reaction score
I own a water conditioning company here in Florida, and we have a customer claiming we installed a system without gluing one joint, all the rest were glued. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how city water pressure would not have blown the fittings apart within seconds of re-pressurizing the system. This fitting is before the water system, and apparently it was a street elbow, regular 3/4" slip PVC fittings. 26 years, never had this before. Installed in Jan. 2015, blew off according to her contractor who was doing work while she was away in December of 2015. Thoughts?

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had non crimped pex fittings hold for 24 hours with no burst. If it was under ground the dirt might of held it in place. Look at the joint should be obvious if primer and glue was used. We rarely use pvc here but when I do... prime hub fitting hub, glue hub fitting hub then insert

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A joint holding? It can happen.
I remember pulling a 1/2" copper coupling out of a wall that had held for over a month.
It held for a year though if that was the case on your PVC.
Or.........................
The homeowner was out of town and the contractor doing work found it?

Last edited:

Geno

Reaction score
This was above ground, in a garage, regular city water pressure, white PVC pipe and fittings. Customer claims there were no leaks or evidence of any water leaking or dripping prior to the pipe "letting go." My thought was the contractor was trying to either cover up his mistake, or the home owner was covering for a previous incident she admitted to. Seems she had an insurance claim for a dishwasher leak just before, which the kitchen is on the other side of the wall where our softener was installed. This was after i recommended she file a claim on her insurance. Nothing seems to add up. Was hoping to see if anyone had anything similar happen or get accused of something like this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks