Anyone ever seen a......

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Doherty Plumbing, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Hey guys,

Have any of you ever seen a gas HWT installed in a crawl space? A customer wants to move his furnace and gas hot water tank to his crawl space. The furnace shouldn't be a problem but I would really like to find a gas HWT that is meant to be installed on it's side! I only have 52" from concrete slab to the bottom of the floor joists.

If anyone can help me out with some suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks guys
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In the "old days" they made stubby gas water heaters for crawl space installations, but now, the shortest is a 48" 30 gallon model. NONE can be installed on their side, and there are many reasons why it cannot be done.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Sorry I don't know of any...
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Lochinvar has some shorter commercial heaters but I think the lowest BTU is 90K and being commercial and Lochinvar might make it priced right out of consideration.
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I would be looking for a tank SPECIFICALLY designed to be installed horizontal. I have never seen a gas tank like this (seen electrics though). I can definitely understand why they don't make them...

I guess I'll have to try and sell this guy on a tankless model. Either than or he's going to an electric whether he likes it or not :p
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber