Anyone else live on a hill

Users who are viewing this thread

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
My front yard has been an absolute royal pain since I moved in. Been working on it every year, with limited success. It is on quite a steep hill and once was covered with some awesome bermuda grass. However, one year it all up and died on me and I have been struggling ever since. We are in the SE and the hill gets some serious sun so fescue generally gets its tail kicked on that hill (unless I wanted to spend a fortune watering this thing all the time.) The only thing that has come close to really improving the situation is that liquid turf builder from Scott's. I put it on every other week and it has done great (compared to anything else). The granual fertilizer seems to just wash down the hill when we get rain. Even the stuff that says it won't. Anyone else got experience working on a hill and maybe got some good advice on really making the lawn take off, maybe a specific type of grass, fertilizer, etc.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hillsides can be a problem to keep green. You might try terraces with those concrete blocks discussed in your other post.

I had to chuckle when I read about the Bermuda grass dying. I live in central Washington State where at one time the fruit growers though that a strain of Bermuda grass would be wonderful in the orchards. Didn't get tall, would withstand weather, and just seemed to be ideal for a cover crop. Well, that was then. Now it is illegal to even ship Zoysa into Washington and Oregon. You can't kill it except with Round Up, and it spreads profusely everywhere. I have spend literally thousands of dollars kill it, rotvating and hauling the roots out by the truck load and replacing with virgin top soil. Need I mention that this was before I retired! I have a Bermuda grass free lawn now, but it required a frequent Round Up patrol and a concrete boarder between my lawn and the neighbors'. :mad: I know this is not the strain used for lawns in the south.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like the kudzu of Washington State. It is funny cause I got this stuff in the back yard, and it will definitely spread across the yard (one of the things I like about it). It does not move fast though so I imagine it is a different type that what you are talking about. It does sound VERY close though.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think what we have is a very unrefined species, I think of if as, "wild", but that may not be a proper term. And yes, it is different from that intentionally used for lawns. My brother-in-law in Atlanta has it for his lawn. You can see the similarity, but this doesn't look as coarse. The runners on mine are about the size of #9 wire and just about as tough. I've seen it grow through asphalt streets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks