Anybody else paints/seals the Hanging Brackets

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
For a Pedastal Sink, I'm guilty of NOT caulking the gap between the wall and the sink. It a personal preference as the caulk/sealant is just eyesore to me.

I have a professional grade steam cleaner, so whenever cleaning Sunday happens, I'll give that area a good blast.

The CI bracket of of my 1st renovations got *rusty*, just due to the sheer moisture of a bathroom.
Since that project, I've always sealed such brackets before hanging them up.

What I normally do is just give it to my powdercoating guy, and just pick it up when he calls me.
Simple small things, but they go a LONG way in the course of a renovation..

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
...It a personal preference as the caulk/sealant is just eyesore to me....

Chef I have the same issue at my house.

I slopped on some silicone and it looks like crap. I'm going to bring the panelling detail across the top of my sink to hide this.

I think it depends on the brand of sink and how much of a radius there is on the edge. They all don't look bad but my powder room sink can use some loving.

JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
JW -

Do you chaulk or grout the inside corners of tiled walls .......

I'm Guilty of using Grout, but out of the 4 walls/rooms I've done to date, one being 7 years as the benchmark (how long I lived there since remodel), it has not cracked at all. I use Epoxy, and even the joint between the tub get's Epoxy and no cracking.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
JW -

Do you chaulk or grout the inside corners of tiled walls .......

I'm Guilty of using Grout, but out of the 4 walls/rooms I've done to date, one being 7 years as the benchmark (how long I lived there since remodel), it has not cracked at all. I use Epoxy, and even the joint between the tub get's Epoxy and no cracking.

Silicone in the inside corners (walls) is an eye sore. Required by TCNA and TTMAC but an eye sore.

We prefer not to use silicone and when possible lace the tile up the inside corners. This makes a super strong corner.

Since we use premium setting materials with a little flex to them (S1 S2) and grout the same we like you have never had a problem.

At the shower floor to wall trasition I do like to use silicone.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For a Pedastal Sink, I'm guilty of NOT caulking the gap between the wall and the sink. It a personal preference as the caulk/sealant is just eyesore to me.

I have a professional grade steam cleaner, so whenever cleaning Sunday happens, I'll give that area a good blast.

The CI bracket of of my 1st renovations got *rusty*, just due to the sheer moisture of a bathroom.
Since that project, I've always sealed such brackets before hanging them up.

What I normally do is just give it to my powdercoating guy, and just pick it up when he calls me.
Simple small things, but they go a LONG way in the course of a renovation..

Hi Chef,

I guess I got lucky when I installed a Toto pedestal sink in my bathroom remodel in 2011. The Toto has no wall bracket, it has just two holes cast into the rear apron intended to be mounted directly to the wall. I used hanger bolts, stainless washers and chrome acorn nuts, but you can't see any of that unless you get on your knees and look under there. The actual weight of the sink is supported by the pedestal. I did mount the pedestal base to the floor with the cast bracket that came with the sink. You can't see that either unless you crawl back there to intentionally look for it. I did not have any need to caulk the top at the wall, as it sits really nicely against the wall. I debated to caulk the seam between the sink base and the top of the pedestal, but decided not to. It is my "wife's" bathroom, and she is not a "splasher". I did caulk around the pedestal base at the floor with color matching caulk. I used painter's tape, and it looks Mahh-velous. Without the tape, it'd look like crap with my caulking skills.

Powder coating sounds like a nice, long lasting finish.:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it fits in with your design, there are tile-in expansion joints designed for the corners of tiled surfaces that never use caulk and are essentially permanent. It really depends on how stable the house is, how old it is (there's a lot of settling the first few years), and the materials used as to whether a corner seam in a tiled wall will crack or not. The industry standards account for that and call for something flexible. Your results may differ. Grout-matched caulk from a quality supplier can be nearly impossible to distinguish from real grout, at least in the beginning.

Asktom

Reaction score
Powdercoating hanger brackets sounds a little over the top to me. Painting, perhaps, maybe, but not powdercoating.

Chefwong

Reaction score
What's there to follow..

I just simply prescribe to the buy once, cry once rule....with maybe a things being detail oriented....

Powdercoating IMO is a far superior system....and it's not expensive in the long haul of things.

Granted the galvanized steel for some brackets may not rust/bleed like the CI hangers, but hey, once all the dust settles, the walls are up, and you are down to the last mile putting the finishing touches , why not get it right the 1st time around and not have to look back ;-)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks