Any thoughts on the 1.0 GPF TOTO toilets (Drake II and Ultramax II)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek87

Reaction score
i recently realized that my municipality is offering a $125 rebate for installing 1.0 gpf Totos.

but seeing that i'm upgrading our 1.6 gpf to 1.28 gpf not really to save water, but get better flushing performance, i'm reluctant to go even lower in water usage out of fear of not getting the desired result (less use of a plunger).

are the 1.0 gpf a too new, and unproven technology or are there any great success stories out there with satisfied customers?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you should wait for the 0.0 flush Toto to arrive on the market. It comes without an actual toilet tank, but they give you a recycled Windex bottle set on 'mist'. I mean, how green can you get?

Derek87

Reaction score
I think you should wait for the 0.0 flush Toto to arrive on the market. It comes without an actual toilet tank, but they give you a recycled Windex bottle set on 'mist'. I mean, how green can you get?
haha.

seriously, if i had the choice, i'd probably looking at a 1.6gpf model to be extra safe for performance. i only asked about the 1.0 in the event that hoards of people would brag of their great experiences and i should consider going with one to get my $125 rebate.

but the silence here suggests i will stick to our 1.28gpf one currently at the top of the list.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This 1G thing has been around for more than a year. From what I can tell from the reviews, people who want maximum water savings love it. The online reviews on the big retail sites are excellent.

However, understand that people who want to save water are predisposed to ignore stuff that others might be fussy about.

The flush (i.e. the ability to suck stuff out of the bowl and down the drain) isn't likely to be a problem. Indeed, most are amazed at the flush. However, because the amount used to flush isn't really reduced (you can see that a whole lot is going through the siphon jet at the bottom of the toilet), what you are going to take a hit on is bowl wash and water spot size. That's where they primarily save that quart of water per flush. Nevertheless, videos show the bowl wash to be pretty decent, and the water spot size to be acceptable if you don't want a pond down there.

Like I said, people who want to save water are amazed by this toilet. Whether you are one of them is up to you.

Here's a video of the flush from a happy consumer, who originally posted it in a video review on a big retail web site and then ported it to Youtube. The media being flushed is nasty old avocado, which he let dry on the surface before flushing.

JMac

Reaction score
I thought I saw/read somewhere that the 1G has a different flush mechanism than the 1.28, but I could be wrong there.
Personally I am happy with the 1.28 version, but then I didn't have a chance at a rebate and didn't want to spend the extra money getting the 1G... it would have took me several years to recoup that through the water bill (if I ever really would as they bill in 1oooG increments here).

SamC

Reaction score
The flush valve on the 1.0 gallon Drake II is quite a bit more complicated than a typical flush valve, and not something you would expect to find at your neighborhood big box store.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Given how new the CUFG toilets are, both the THU396 flush valve tower assembly and the 9BU094 gasket are going to be warranty parts, which one could get by mail from Toto. They are very nice and good when you call them with issues, and they would send one right away for free. The parts aren't even yet available for purchase on their web site.

That said, there is a convenience from being able to quickly grab a Korky replacement for any Toto toilet flapper at HD or online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks