Any suggestions would be appreciated BAD SMELL IN HOUSE!

Users who are viewing this thread

dy

Reaction score
All of a sudden we have a terrible smell (like a dose of strong dirty dish towels sitting for ages) that's coming from behind new washer or dryer. There is no water on the floor, and the washer and dryer do not smell inside the drums. Dryer vent goes out the roof. The duct is free from lint build up, so that's the not issue.
Trying to think of what was different or could be related.

The day before there was a loud sound (more of a bang on the window sound or a large picture off the wall fell) in the middle of the night. When I heard the sound, I came running out but did not see anything that fell or could not see anything visible that the sound came from. The day after the smell started.

About 3 months ago we had a plumber fix the very smelly backed up water in the dishwasher issue. Water would back up in the dishwasher every time we ran it and the water would smell bad. We have a double sink with a garbage disposal. He went under the sink and did a quick fix, and the problem was solved. I don't know what he did exactly to fix it and I can't call him as they are out of business.. Not sure if this could be related.

Any ideas? I ran the dishwasher today and the smell is even worse. I can't even open the laundry room door the smell is so bad in there. I have been nauseated all day. Aside from suggesting to call a plumber which I obviously will :)

I'm wondering what your opinions are on this, and if anyone could tell me what the fix is normally to fix a water from backing up in a dishwasher what is normally done.

Thanks

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Couple of questions to get everyone thinking about this -

Are you on municipal water or well water?
Do you have an expansion tank on the system - if yes, is it located inside?
Can you tell if the smell is coming from the washer's drain line (like maybe the trap is dry)?
Was anything running the night you heard the noise?
Are you on septic tank/system?
Are the washer and dishwasher located near each other (like back-to-back separated by a wall)?

On the earlier dishwasher repair, I suspect you probably had a clogged dishwasher drain hose due to buildup of fat in the disposal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bird or other animal died in dryer vent? Guess you would have smelled that in the drum too.

Maybe pull one or both of the machines away from the wall to get your nose back there.

dy

Reaction score
Couple of questions to get everyone thinking about this -

Are you on municipal water or well water?
Do you have an expansion tank on the system - if yes, is it located inside?
Can you tell if the smell is coming from the washer's drain line (like maybe the trap is dry)?
Was anything running the night you heard the noise?
Are you on septic tank/system?

On the earlier dishwasher repair, I suspect you probably had a clogged dishwasher drain hose due to buildup of fat in the disposal.
-----------------------------
municipal water
no expansion tank
I looked back behind the washer and dryer and the smell seems to be coming from behind it, maybe behind the wall, more on the dryer side. But its hard to tell exactly because the whole room smells so bad. Its not coming from one of the visible water lines.
nothing was running the night you heard the noise
no septic tank
septic tank
Dishwasher is across from the small laundry room that only fits a washer and dryer separated by a wall

dy

Reaction score
Bird or other animal died in dryer vent? Guess you would have smelled that in the drum too.

Maybe pull one or both of the machines away from the wall to get your nose back there.

It doesn't smell in the drum at all, the smell is coming from behind it, in the wall. There is nothing underneath the washer and dryer either.

Karadyann07

Reaction score
I was having the same problem, brand new house. I looked everywhere online and finally figured it out....I had the drain hose down too far, it was actually in the s bend. Pulled it out a bit a Tada! All better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks