Any special considerations for buring a pvc drain pipe for sump pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seawolf

Reaction score
In hope of getting more coverage, I've posted this query in the general plumbing forum.

I have a small sump (<12" x 12" x 12") in my back yard. The previous home owner had the pump drain into the sewer main, which I've read is wrong.

Without the sump pump operating, my backyard and my garage flood during heavy rains.

I want to make it drain on the front sidewalk where the water would flow into the storm drains. This is what all my neighbors do.

I plan on burying the 1 1/4" PVC in the ground (it is all lawn) from the pump to my front yard fence. The pvc outlet will then peek out of the fence and drain onto the sidewalk. The pvc will probably run about 100'. I cannot notice any grade, but I'm sure there is a minor one.

Are there any special considerations for burying the pvc? How deep? Can I just bury it in the dirt? I don't need to add anything underneath the pipe like gravel or sand, do I?

This is southern california. No freezing issues.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ct-esq

Reaction score
a few thoughts

1. Don't be afraid to use a larger diameter pipe, like 2 or larger.
2. Use schedule 40
3. set the pipe in some gravel so that you don't develop low spots that freeze later on after the pipe settles into the dirt
4. take pictures of the trench before filling it all in
5. Make sure you have enough down travel over 100 ft, so that all the water drains out.
6. i have my sump pipe buried about 6" deep and haven't any freeze problems in the underground pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks