Any reason not to paint over water resistant drywall in shower?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by PM5K, Aug 5, 2010.

1. PM5K

PM5K New Member

I'm renovating a bathroom in three stages. Stage one is to make it a two piece bathroom with a working sink and toilet. Stage two is to install a surround and new faucet/shower hardware. Stage three is to install a new water heater.

So right now I have what you'd probably typically see, paint everywhere except where the surround would go. I probably won't be doing the surround for about six weeks, so is there any reason I shouldn't paint over the water resistant drywall so it has a decent, presentable look in the meantime?

TIA!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I presume you are using a glue-up surround. I would possibly prime the greenboard, but not finish coat it. The tub surround adhesive does not cure well if applied to a non porous surface. I would check with the adhesive instructions and see if even the primer is allowed.
  3. PM5K

PM5K New Member

Makes sense. Yes glue-up surround.