Any plumbers wanna take a look at my roughin plans?

Users who are viewing this thread

ga1990

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rough in my basement bathroom...I drew up what I was planning on doing, wondering if someone wanted to take a look at it and tell me if I need to change anything? I can email you the picture I drew, or I also attached it to this thread.
I'd really appreciate it if I could find a plumber to take a look at it...I went to my local plumbing supply, and guess what, no plumbers work there!
ga1990@aol.com thanks in advance! Also, is 1 1/2" fine for the vent?

Attachments

• proposed bathroom2.JPG
    proposed bathroom2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

If he were a good plumber, why would he work at a supply house when he could be making money doing plumbing? An inspector might have an issure with the new floor drain not having a vent. Otherwise, depending on how you actually install the piping, it should be okay.

ga1990

Reaction score
Oh I don't know....because he's old and doesn't want to crawl on the ground anymore?? Seriously though, I just thought at a plumbing supply there would be SOMEONE with atleast some plumbing experience...a place where I could go to get questions answered as well as buying parts....like when you go to SOME auto parts stores, or SOME hardware stores. But anyways...would the floor drain need a vent even if I put it right next to the new line? My old floor drain shown doesn't seem to be vented, or am I missing something? Is the toilet OK like that, as far as venting? As far as the shower goes, a P-Trap under the actual drain, and a "T" just outside the shower base for the vent, is that the proper way? Thanks alot for your help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbers

Most of the plumbing supply stores here are wholesalers so they do not want to deal with noncontractors, and the help is discouraged from giving advice in order to avoid any liability in case the customer cannot follow directions. The shower vent would go into a combination Y-1/8 bend, not a tee. The floor drain would work without a vent, but the inspector might require one because of the "every fixture needs a vent" requirement.

Prashster

Reaction score
Pardon my non-professional intrusion

Doesn't the toilet require a vent?

Also, FWIW, my company has floor drains in our bathrooms that are not vented. They do siphon on occasion, stinking up the bathroom. We have to manually refill them with water. This happens in 2 bathrooms about 1ce a month. Then again, our toilets are pressure assisted and perhaps(?) their tendency to suck traps dry is higher vis-a-vis conventional gravity toilets...

If it doesn't cost you anything, why not loop vent the fd?

ga1990

Reaction score
prashster said:
Doesn't the toilet require a vent?

I don't know...that was one of the things I'm trying to figure out.

geniescience said:
Can you connect the floor drain downstream from the shower?

I'll try, but I don't think there is going to be enough room, that drawing is NOT 100% to scale, and there's a raised concrete pad with my wash machine in the way.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Or invert order by routing the shower drain over to where the toilet is

Space enough to squeeze the shower drain in before the drain, after the toilet?

Since the drawing is to scale, you must have a good 15" space between the toilet and the floor drain.

ga1990

Reaction score
That's awesome, thank you very much. One question, what is the circle on the WC vent? I can't tell what that says to the right of it.

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Yes - full sized up to the end of line clean out then reduce it to the vent size...
Wet vent the lav over the WC

ga1990

Reaction score
Would it be bad if I did it this way, with a sweeping 90 going to the WC, then right after that a 90 going up for the vent and sink? Would that be a good enough vent for the WC? The way you have it drawn, I just don't know I could keep everything underground and still running downhill.

Attachments

• iso1.jpg
    iso1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 440

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
3" is better. Water velocity and self-scouring.

larger diameter is not better, cuz water slower, profile flatter, solids don't get carried downstream as much -- if ever any minor blockage, more likely to let it stay and build up. Tighter pipe better. Proven in government studies too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks