Any options for exhaust fan in downstairs master that currently has none?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by SliderJeff, Jul 26, 2009.

1. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

Hey guys,

I'm having my bathroom retiled and shower completely redone with the kerdi stuff from Schluter. Currently there is no exhaust fan in this room. I'd like to have one added, but as this is downstairs, I think I am S.O.L. I have no idea why the brainiacs that built the house didn't install one, but it is what it is. The shower IS located on an exterior wall, but I get the feeling that installing an exhaust fan that vents directly outside through the brick might be a high dollar affair. Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might address this?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A diamond core drill would make quick work of making a clean hole in the brick, if that's what you decide. Unless you can run it up somehow through say a closet or something and exhaust through the roof or a gable end, either through the wall, or in the ceiling, then in between the joists to the rim joist and out the wall are your only choices. Code requires an operable window or a fan in a bathroom.
  3. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

Perhaps code is different in Texas? There's a fan in the water closet portion of the bathroom, but nothing in the actual non-water closet portion where the tub, shower and vanities are.

Assuming I can have the hole drilled in the side of the house... any idea what the outside portion would look like as far as a grill or vent such that no critters could get in? Would a dryer vent exhaust work?

Thanks!

Regs,
    Jeff
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

You can tie another fan into your existing fan ductwork, it just won't be sized for both to run at the same time. Some fans have backdraft dampers from the factory, Greenheck SP-C for example.
    Greenheck's SPCSP Catalog - 2.77 Megs

You can also run a new line and use a brickvent louver. Brickvents are sized for standard brick size so you wouldn't have to piece brickes in.
    [​IMG]
  5. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

So the only issue with that is that there is roughly 20 feet between the location of the shower and the location of the exhaust vent for the WC. The other issue is that, and I kid you not, the "ductwork" is little more than maybe 6-inch in diameter "aluminum foil" tube that is completely shredded by the time it gets to the attic... at least from what I have seen.

I'm happy to listen if you say retro-fitting with better/different ductwork is possible without major corrective surgery on the house.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  6. FloridaOrange

Post a pic of the conditions and what you think are restrictions to doing it.
    What is major to you?

You said it's on an outside wall, do you have a ceiling in this room?
    Also, if your ductwork is shredded it sounds like time for new anyway.
  7. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

I'll post some pics when I remember to bring my darn memory card for the camera home from work.

In general, who typically will do the work of drilling/punching the hole, installing the fan and vent and then patching or sealing the outside? Sounds like a couple different trades are involved.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  8. FloridaOrange

It's not a big job or dealing with large equipment. A good GC could do it.
  9. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

Ah, therein lies the rub. The operative word is "good". :)

Anyway, I still don't have my SD card for my camera, but I do have this pic I snapped of the shower area. The current vent is located offscreen to the right... about another 8' or so into the WC.

Not sure if that helps at all... but that's what I have.

Pay no attention to the laundry in the master bedroom. :)

Attached Files:

10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A vent in the room is sufficient to meet code. Adding a timer or a humidistat to make it run long enough to do some good would probably help. But, if I remember, you said the exhaust duct is shot...that would need to be fixed to be able to do anything useful. At that time, you might put a larger unit in that would better control moisture.
  11. FloridaOrange

Options if you wanted to add an exhaust fan:
    1. Into the existing ceiling, can't tell from the pic what kind of room you'd have.
    2. Build a drop ceiling above your shower.
  12. SliderJeff

SliderJeff DIY Member

I got the name of a GC that my bathroom remodel guys recommended, so I'll probably talk to him to see how much we would be talking about in terms of the cost to add the new exhaust fan over the shower and vent it out the side of the house. More details to come...

Regards,
    Jeff