any idea????

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mikee, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mikee

mikee New Member

anyone have a idea on what i can put under acrylic tub ..to stop creaking when i step in tub?/ it stands on four legs ..proper installation.for this tub ..but bottom flexs under weight...can i put anything under tub from inspection door for plumbing...its big enough i can see tub bottom...any ideas?? thanks mike
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The manufacturer probably says nothing is needed, but you've seen the results! Often, they say setting it in a bed of cement/mortar/plaster of paris is optional, but it really isn't if you want a quality install. You might be able to spray in some low expansion/high density foam with a long hose extension to get it where it needs to be. You'd probably have trouble trying to get an even spread of cement pushed in from the end. If you had better access, you might be able to make a dam and pour in some plaster of paris. I'm not a pro...maybe one of them will have some ideas. It should have been done when it was installed, then it's fairly easy and quick.
  3. mikee

mikee New Member

re:foam insullation

is foam insullation from the can safe for under the fiberglass acrylic tub..and should i fill tub before applying..thx mikee
  4. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I'd apply the foam and not fill the tub up. If you filled the tub then applied the foam or applied the foam THEN filled the tub it seems to me that once the tub was empty there were be a space between the tub and foam. This is all hypothetical of course as I've never tried to put in a "base" after a tub is set. I'm not sure that the foam will take care of the problem, but its worth a shot. Definitely cheaper than pulling the tub then resetting it in a mortar base.

Good luck
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you use foam, put water in the tub.

You don't want the foam pressing the bottom of the tub up.
  6. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

good point Terry. I hadnt thought about that what with the expansion of the foam and all. Thats what I like about this forum....I learn something new everyday.