Ants coming in via plumbing pipe opening

Users who are viewing this thread

Donny BeGood

Reaction score
I'm really not sure if I am describing everything correctly, but I will try. I tried to upload a picture but I get a message saying that the file is too large. I have discovered that we have those little brown carpenter ants crawling around in our basement in Minnesota during the month of January (this winter has been warmer than average with temperatures going above freezing on a regular basis). I think that I have found out that they are coming in through an opening where the copper pipes enter our house through the concrete floor in our crawl space. There is pipe insulation surrounding these pipes and there is actually sand sitting on top of where the insulation has been cut off about 3-4 inces above the concrete floor. The insulation is very loose there, creating the opening where they are getting in. I'm not sure if they are also coming in through the opening that is at the floor level . Will sealing up these openings completely take care of the ant problem and if so, what should I use? The pipe in question is the hot water (obviously they like the warmth). Or should I try to treat the area with some type of insecticide, then seal it up?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Carpenter ants are large and black, not little and brown. Obviously, they will not be able to enter any opening that has been sealed.
However, those creepy insects can make their own openings anywhere wood is close to the ground. I suggest you consult
with a professional pest eradicator.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with small brown ants, but if they are wood destroying, I agree -- call an exterminator.

Otherwise, not being a big fan of insecticides (except for fire ants)... You may or may not be able to discourage them with something simple like spraying the area with household cleaner or a ring of dish soap, or maybe spreading something like corn meal or diatomaceous earth. You can always nuke them later.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
For carpenter ants I use Advance Carpenter Ant Bait. For other ants I mix boric acid and peanut butter or boric acid and karo syrup or some other sweet liquid. You can find a lot of recipes on the internet. Get rid of the ants first then seal up the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks