Antique wall hung toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

trelease

Reaction score
Terry,
The chrome flush ell on this toilet leaks at the back of the bowl. I have tried to re-adjust it for a better seal but when I tighten it, this creates the same problem on the wall hung tank. I've got it down to a trickle at the bowl and I have applied some caulking at the bottom edge of the washer/gasket. I don't know if this will stop the problem, I'm letting it cure for 24 hours before I turn the water on. Is there a technique with this installation that I am unaware of or is this common with these toilets. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ell

If you tried to replace the flush ell without removing the spud from the back of the toilet, then you probably cut it too short and that is why it is leaking. Otherwise there is no reason why tightening one end would cause the other to leak.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Putting caulk on it is a useless motion. Waste of time.

When you say "antique toilet" I don't know if you mean a retro with the tank high on the wall or the 80-year plus low wall-mounted tank, but I'm guessing the latter.

My fix is to take the thing loose - remove the tank from the wall - disassemble and clean everything and replace all rubber parts. That includes freeing up the brass threads. You can even replace the spud and the brass ell to be safe.

Or, you can avoid all that and get a real toilet that doesn't use 8 gallons of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks