Antique toilet 14" rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, Pal. Even if you were right, which you are not, you are JUST AS BAD. We have all heard YOU bitching and bitching about someone who simply has a different opinion, and has backed that opinion up with laws and facts, and admitted where he was mistaken about the application of those laws.
I see it quite differently. Lanachurner did not attack IMO.

Here is my summary of that "different opinion" that you referred to:
Using a toilet that has more than 1.6 GPF outside of a prison is highly immoral, and should be illegal. It is illegal in California, and I logically extend that to the land of 10,000 lakes. And if I get creative at citing laws, I am, I can hardly be expected to apologize, because it supports my beliefs. I of course state my opinion as facts because they are what I choose to believe.​
To be clear, that me is putting words in somebody elses mouth.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, I think I have slogged through all the postings, except for Lanachurners since they were to laborious to read. A couple of comments
1. A "modern" toilet would have to have a top or rear spud, and those designed for mounting a tank do NOT, nor can they be adapted for one
2. A flushometer toilet has a 1 1/2" top or rear spud so it also cannot be connected to a wall mount tank which requires a 2" flush ell.
3. A wall mount tank allows you to use ANY bowl with a spud with ANY tank that has holes to fasten it to the wall, just by purchasing the proper sized 2" flush ell. (You would have to seal the tank to bowl holes if you try this with a modern tank, however.)
4. The majority of wall mount tanks attached to "wash down" bowls which were obsolete, even for close coupled units, since at least the 50's, and are almost impossible to snake when they plug up.

lanachurner

Reaction score
I am going to break my own rule about ignoring trolls.

Hey, Pal. Even if you were right, which you are not, you are JUST AS BAD. We have all heard YOU bitching and bitching about someone who simply has a different opinion, and has backed that opinion up with laws and facts, and admitted where he was mistaken about the application of those laws.

And, like all bullies who don't have a legal leg to stand on, you have resorted to attacking the guy personally because you don't like what he has to say.

You don't have to respond to every one of Jim's posts.

This is the most unpleasant thread I have had read on here in a long time. And it's YOUR fault.

Okay, you are back on "ignore".

"For someone who has been participating in this forum for 5 minutes, you need to throttle that attitude Waaaaaaaay back, Pal."

I'm not your pal ok?
My pals don't use intimidation to win arguments.

You won't see this because you're ignoring me but for the sake of conversation...
Think about this thread the next time you find yourself going over the speed limit.
You may choose to not follow the speed laws. I choose not to follow the water laws.
Are you going to say one of us is less moral than the other?

lanachurner

Reaction score
I'm sorry I asked this question here.
I assumed people here were altruistic with their help.
But I see that's not the case.
There is an agenda here that has little to do with plumbing.
Simple questions don't get simple answers. They get a huge amount of coercion to follow the rules.
For what it's worth I will be moving the rough in in that bathroom soon.
So all your unpleasantness was for nothing.
I hope you're happy with yourselves.
There were some here who gave me likes and even defended me.
Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, your question was not easy...few people left around have tried to install an incomplete antique toilet, especially since it took you five pages before you added a picture to help clarify.

Second, the Feds made a decision that affects all Americans preventing manufacturers from making a toilet that wastes water, and some states have taken that to heart and made laws preventing them from being installed, if someone found one somewhere. Wasting water does more than just waste water, it puts additional stresses on the supply lines as new houses are built, and the sewer lines and the waste treatment plants. It's a group effort.

Driving over the speed limit may hurt nobody except maybe your individual pocketbook. Some things in life are more about the group good than individual desires. Try going 16mph and passing someone in a Texas school zone marked 15mph and see what happens! 70mph on a 55mph straight road in the middle of nowhere, with no buildings or cross-roads, and the weather clear, and probably nobody would care. We all make these decisions daily. Some of us prefer to look at the overall good, some just give the rest the finger. Most people here at least try to give information that is valid anywhere.

lanachurner

Reaction score
First, your question was not easy...few people left around have tried to install an incomplete antique toilet, especially since it took you five pages before you added a picture to help clarify.

Second, the Feds made a decision that affects all Americans preventing manufacturers from making a toilet that wastes water, and some states have taken that to heart and made laws preventing them from being installed, if someone found one somewhere. Wasting water does more than just waste water, it puts additional stresses on the supply lines as new houses are built, and the sewer lines and the waste treatment plants. It's a group effort.

Driving over the speed limit may hurt nobody except maybe your individual pocketbook. Some things in life are more about the group good than individual desires. Try going 16mph and passing someone in a Texas school zone marked 15mph and see what happens! 70mph on a 55mph straight road in the middle of nowhere, with no buildings or cross-roads, and the weather clear, and probably nobody would care. We all make these decisions daily. Some of us prefer to look at the overall good, some just give the rest the finger. Most people here at least try to give information that is valid anywhere.
Comparing water usage to speeding in a school zone is ridiculous.
My question WAS easy.
Shortly after asking here I contacted an EBay seller about a bowl he had listed and he told me a 14" rough was pretty much standard on those old toilets. A 12" might have been available back in the day but in all his years as a master plumber he hadn't seen many.
He didn't need to see photos either. Few people who know old toilets would. I just uploaded the photos to show the aesthetically challenged here.
And he didn't go off on a diatribe about laws, codes, morals or ethics. He just gave me the facts.
You jadnashua have been particularly rude, patronizing and overbearing in this thread.
And for what?
I said from the beginning I was going to install this toilet. I reiterated several times that I was going to install it. And despite your (and wjcandees') spitefulness I am still going to install it.
Accept that or don't. I couldn't care less about the opinions of someone so wholly unconnected to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To some, rude is anyone that does not agree with you...that seems to be your case. Nowhere have I insulted you, and only gave an opinion, and how over 100,000,000 people in the USA have to follow the rules on water use. That you don't care, fine, but at least some people do, and even those that don't agree, about 1/3'rd of the country can't do what you want. Whether you find that appalling, or absurd, or irrelevant, fine, but it is fact.

lanachurner

Reaction score
To some, rude is anyone that does not agree with you...that seems to be your case. Nowhere have I insulted you, and only gave an opinion, and how over 100,000,000 people in the USA have to follow the rules on water use. That you don't care, fine, but at least some people do, and even those that don't agree, about 1/3'rd of the country can't do what you want. Whether you find that appalling, or absurd, or irrelevant, fine, but it is fact.

Jadnashua,
I asked a simple question about rough ins. You were unable to answer it.
I do not care to hear your opinions on other matters.
I am not interested in your advice.
I do not share your concern about water usage.
I reject your collectivist philosophy.
I oppose your social ideology.
I disapprove of your sense of aesthetics.
I scorn your acceptance of what I think are overly intrusive laws.
I don't need further examples of your rude, chiding, patronizing attitude.

I am not attempting to get you to agree with me.
I'm not asking you to be like me or think like me.
I am not suggesting you install a non compliant toilet in Your home.

For the umpteenth time I am going to say this:
I am going to install this toilet in My home. Because I like the way it looks. Because looks trumps all other concerns that I, you, the government, or anyone else may have.
Got that?
Good.
Let's be done with this silly business now.

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
LMAO.png

lanachurner

Reaction score
Hi all.
I just stopped in to say hello.
And to mention that I found a 12" RI toilet bowl. Nice one too.
I had put this project on hold for a year and a half now. Just did a remodel and viola! there it was. I carefully removed it and brought it home. It has a bit of lime deposits but those will clean up with muratic acid.
On with the project.

JLMott

Reaction score
Hi all.
I just stopped in to say hello.
And to mention that I found a 12" RI toilet bowl. Nice one too.
I had put this project on hold for a year and a half now. Just did a remodel and viola! there it was. I carefully removed it and brought it home. It has a bit of lime deposits but those will clean up with muratic acid.
On with the project.

Bump.

If you stop back in again, would love to see photos of the completed project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks