antifreeze protection for hydronic heat

Users who are viewing this thread

fozzy12

Reaction score
I have a closed system hydronic heating system in my workshop. I want to protect it in case of power failure during the winter months. What type of antifreeze do you recommend? It's not connected to city water, it's a totally separate system. Can I use automotive type antifreeze? I was ready to buy some RV antifreeze when I read the label and it said specifically not for use in hydronic heating systems.

Thanks!
Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go to a plumbing supply house and get the stuff designed for this. One important thing to note is the addition of antifreeze actually decreases the system's ability to transfer heat - in other words, your boiler will function as a smaller unit when you add antifreeze. Course, it will keep the system from freezing if you have enough in there. I think the deficit is about 10%, but don't quote me on this...one of the pros would know.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The insulating factor for heat exchange can be as high as 25% depending on concentration or level of freeze protection, with the norm around 15-20% reduction.

Also, heat exchange in the boiler depending on type is effected, many times causing operational problems such as whining and whistling can be heard.

Proper concentration, flow, adequate radiation and perhaps some burner adjustment and all is well for that peace of mind

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks