Anti-Siphon Freezeless bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Nladan

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an anti-siphon attachment that could be installed on a freezeless bib.

I understand that some can hold water and cause the freezeless faucet to freeze and burst.

Any recommendations?

We are on a well system and would not like to risk contaminating the well.

Thanks.

N Ladan

Plumguy

Reaction score
Yes, they have the type you screw on to the hose threads and they tighten with an allen screw. I believe HD sells them

I'm not sure about the holding water part, we don't use the silcocks here that much in the winter. The frostproofs if installed correctly should be pitching down so they will self drain.

Nladan

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I had one frost free freeze and burst. I was told by the plumber, who installed this on new construction, that the reason it burst was the anti-siphon had too strong of a spring. The way it was designed caused water not to drain between the valve in the wall and the anti-siphon.

He replaced that frost free with a much better looking frost free, which had an intigrated anti-siphon on it.

He then took off all of the anti-siphon's off of the other bibs. He said it wasn't really needed and they would hold water, casuing them to burst in winter.

I think the anti siphon might be a good idea because we have well water. I would think it might protect our well in certain circumstances. I think codes requires them.

So, I was wondering if there was an anti-siphon which would allow the water between the inside valve of the frost free faucet and the anti-siphon to drain of water.

Thanks.

N Ladan

Plumguy

Reaction score
The only after market one that I'm aware of is like I described above. However, if you are pleased with the one the plumber put in... with the intergrated one... then maybe you should think about repacing the whole unit. And they are code here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks