anti scald and not enough hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Hoffman

Reaction score
Hi: I'm a woodworker not a plumber, so hopefully someone can help me.

My shower water gets warm, but not hot enough for me. The water at all sink faucets gets much hotter than the shower. I'm thinking there must be some kind of anti scald device on the shower, but what I don't know is: do these devices behave like a "governor" to keep the temp down, even if you want it hotter? I'm not talked about a sudden hot surge.

Don't know if it matters, but my heater is a tankless Rheem.

Any suggestions on how to get the shower water hotter? (I've already tried cranking up the temp setting on the hot water heater).

Thanks,
Tom Hoffman
Orangevale, CA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you look at the instructions for the valve, you will see a temperature stop that prevents the handle from rotating all the way to the left,

Pull the handle and adjust the limiter stop.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The limit stop will often be a piece that looks like a gear, and there will be arrows pointing to hotter/colder. Usually you just take the handle off, lift up that piece, and turn it a little.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may take a little trial and error to get it set just right. Kind of like sneaking up on an odd miter joint.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks