Answer on waterproofing showers for Roberto Birtulescu of EuroCerob - Montreal

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Jan 5, 2014.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. johnfrwhipple

Question from Montreal #1

3. johnfrwhipple

Questions and Answers - Waterproofing in Montreal Building the perfect Shower

4. johnfrwhipple

Wrong test plug type for Kerdi Line flood Test

5. eurob

eurob In the trades

Can't be sure what you are trying to accomplish there John . Test the waterproofing or the plumbing pipes in the same time .

No leaks where present at the Fernco attachment or at the plumbing connections , done at a prior date , before shower flooding .
  6. johnfrwhipple

7. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

No. Not in CA. This drywall screw pattern wasn't for seismic at all. In this case, these were all non-load bearing walls set within a cinder block foundation. I was just surprised that they had a separate special inspection for the drywall screw pattern, but didn't care to see something like a flood test.

As to the no-hub connection: As I mentioned in the other thread, you are doing it wrong. That connection should be tested with the DWV test. This is done by capping everything off and using either a 10' stand pipe or can often be done filling all plumbing with water to the highest roof plumbing vent. Then you and the inspector look for leaks. All plumbing connections need to be tested like this. The flood test is a separate test and does not accomplish the testing of the no-hub connection.

What Roberto is testing with is fine as long as it holds. The other type is really only needed with a traditional shower in order to install below the weep holes. There should be a separate plumbing test regardless, but I know this often gets overlooked when installing say only a shower drain compared to a new addition or a new plumbing layout.
  8. johnfrwhipple

9. eurob

eurob In the trades

Thanks for the specifics . I am a tile guy , not a plumber , so I limit my testing to my waterproofing , assuming the rest of the plumbing installation is tested and done respecting the codes .
  10. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

It is done differently in different areas, but you are still not testing that connection, so I'm not sure why you criticize Roberto for doing the same. Unless you do a 10' water column, you aren't really testing that connection.

Edit: I'm not a plumber either (engineer), but I typically do everything myself (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.). I want to make sure everything is right, so I study codes and do all of the inspections.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  11. johnfrwhipple

12. eurob

eurob In the trades

Like I said , John , I thought it is the proper way IMO to exchange opinions , not over other members threads , especially when nothing we discuss is relevant to it .

My bad , if having your name in thread's title offends you . I will inquire the moderators to rename it .
  13. johnfrwhipple

More answers for Roberto

14. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

The problem is the fact that your flood tests are only done with 1"-2" of water. This is not enough head to test that connection. It is just like DWV piping should never be full of water, but is still needs to be tested with a minimum of a 10' water column. Unless you plug the drain and re-do the full (or isolated to that section) test on the DWV system, you aren't testing that joint in the eyes of the plumbing code. As such, either test plug accomplishes the same thing: allows the flood test to be performed, but does nothing to test the no-hub joint.

So, if Roberto is showing half-steps or incomplete steps, you are guilty of the same as neither plug actually tests the connection in this configuration.

All of the personal attacks are getting old. The fact is that no-one has all of the answers. You should be open to other people's opinions as you might just learn something new. You don't have to be a "pro" to know the codes or what the manufacturer recommends. Where what you do really comes in to play is with feedback as to which systems work and which ones don't since you have the opportunity to use multiple methods. Feedback based on this is helpful to everyone (such as the shear testing).
  15. eurob

eurob In the trades

No chatting necessary . You have your ways , which seem to change at different steps of a discussion , and I have my ways .

Besides the misleading thread's name -- Never requested any waterproofing answers -- , no problem from my end .

On a last note , deleting or removing answers from a different thread , really , makes it hard to follow .
  16. johnfrwhipple

17. johnfrwhipple

18. eurob

eurob In the trades

I agree . However if this is so important in the final process , all of the connections , used for final finishing plumbing fixtures , should be tested under the same requirements . When shower heads , rain shower heads , faucets , jets , etc. are installed , it should be pressure tested -- for leaks -- as per roughing tests performed . Hardly see any of them done and I think a pro is relying on his experience when finalizing the plumbing .
  19. johnfrwhipple

20. eurob

eurob In the trades

It will leak , if this is a question or concern of yours .

This discussion has nothing to do with ASSUMPTIONS , we all know the obvious answers .

I thought we have a discussion . If you don't want to participate in them , just don't reply . No more questions will follow .

I would ask the moderators to give me a Censor button only for my own thread so I can CENSOR you anytime I feel the need .LOL