Another two low recovery wells question

Users who are viewing this thread

DonAllenABI

Reaction score
First, thanks to all the pros on this site for your time and information. I've been pouring through the threads here getting educated. My issue is: I recently purchased a foreclosure where the water is being supplied by 2 low recovery wells. This is the first time I have dealt with any kind of well water system. I have had some issues. When I looked at what was setup under the house.....well, let's just say that someone had good credit with radio shack. After reading the forum here I have come to the conclusion of ripping out all of the "contraptions" and going back in with what should be there. My main question is: I will be installing a control sensor for each well, but what do I need to install that can tell when to switch from well 1 to well 2? I don't know the exact recovery rates as yet, but I do know that well 1 recovers faster than 2.

thanks,
Don

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would put a Cycle Sensor on each well pump to protect it from running dry. These will shut the pump off when the well is dry, then you set a timer in the Cycle Sensor from 1 to 500 minutes to automatically restart the pump after the well has had time to recoup. You can either run both pumps at the same time with one "pump up" float switch, or use two float switches with one installed slightly lower than the other. That way if the tank level drops to the lower float, both pumps will be running.

DonAllenABI

Reaction score
So, both pumps would kick on at the same time when pressure switch calls? You threw me with the floats....both run into one pressure tank. sounds like you thought I was going to a storage tank?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah I was thinking a storage or cistern type tank. With a pressure tank only you would still use a Cycle Sensor on each pump. Then use a pressure switch for each pump with staggered the pressure settings using the best well as the highest pressure. Like set the best well at 40/60 and the other one at 30/50. Then if you use a CSV on each pump, it will refill the tanks at 1 GPM so the pressure tank will not be seen as a large demand and cause the wells to be pumped dry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks