Another toilet flange question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by miltf, Dec 21, 2012.

1. miltf

miltf New Member

Hi,
    I have removed our old 1930's toilet and discovered that the flooring and the 4" cast iron pipe are connected by a lead sheet collar. I am thinking to install an Oatey twist and set flange and bolt it to the flooring. Is this right? How can I ensure a good seal to the pipe which does not have a smooth surface? What is best: cast iron flange, abs flange, ss covered flange?

Any other ideas? I am reluctant to remove the lead and start over.

Thanks,
    Milt

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

None of those are approved or reliable in this situation. If the lead is intact, a plumber can lead on a new brass or bronze flange. If it's not, then it gets much more involved - the lead needs to be removed. Then, you have the choice of using whatever material you wish, pvc, abs, cast iron, or even copper to rebuild the pipe and install a new flange. There are no friction or expansion flanges designed to work inside a lead sleeve.
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

4. miltf

miltf New Member

Its not easily seen, but the lead only goes down about an inch to where the iron pipe starts. I was thinking the flange extensions would fit against the iron.
  5. wptski

wptski Retired Machine Repairman

If that's lead which is soft, where is/were the closet bolts that hold the toilet down? Or was something else used back then?
  6. johnjh2o1

Many didn't use flanges they used closet screws that fastened the toilet to the floor. Not a good idea.

John
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

SOmetimes, they'd lead a brass flange to the lead after it was wrapped over it (the lead, that is).
  8. johnjh2o1

The lead was soldered to the brass flange.

John