Another slow draining/bubbling thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott16

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new member but have been reading other's posts for a while. I've got a toilet in my 2nd floor master that's got a slow drain and bubbles just a little when flushed. My assumption is there's a clog that the auger and chemicals can't touch, but before I take the whole thing off I thought I'd post on here and see if another detail about the situation means anything.

For the past few weeks we've noticed a bad smell (like what I imagine gunked-up pipes smell like) in the bathroom in the mornings when showering. It seems like the smell is coming from the sinks, but I'm not 100% sure. My guess is this is an air-flow/ventilation issue, so I'm wondering if the toilet is affected by the same thing.

My house is pretty tall (full attic above the 2nd floor) and I don't have a ladder tall enough to get on the roof (which is pretty steep...) and check/flush the vent.

Is removing the toilet an easy enough job that I might as well try it? Does the smell mean it's probably not the toilet anyway? Since it's on the 2nd floor would I be able to see a backup in the mainline if I removed the toilet? All the other toilets/showers/sinks work just fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll need a new wax ring and if the supply hose is old, it might not hurt to replace it as well, but it's usually not a big deal to remove a toilet. The area that could be an issue is if they sealed the toilet to the floor, and with what! Some are easy to remove, some (like a full silicon) means that the toilet is going to be really stuck, and getting it up can be a major pain. The thing is heavy, but a healthy person should not have a problem lifting it once it is free from the sealant (if it exists - it should).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would also get new brass or stainless steel flange bolts just in case the old ones are in bad shape, and a tube of polyseal. The wax ring should be a plain one, no plastic funnel. If the flange is recessed, then a thicker ring would be needed. The flange should have been installed on top of the finished floor, but if a new floor was laid at some time, the flange could be recessed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks