Another question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by solutions, Mar 21, 2008.

1. solutions

solutions New Member

Are there any problems with making a 10/2 cable longer than it has to be,for future plans that will require the moving of an appliance? In this case @ 3 or 4 feet longer ,so when that appliance is moved it's just a matter hooking wires and a few wire nuts!
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

As long a the whip (that part from the last support to the appliance) is no longer than six feet I don't see anything wrong with that type of installation
  3. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I think we need more detail. If you want the extra length from the wall to the appliance, JW has OK'd that.

If you just want to coil up 3 or 4 feet of extra wire in the wall or ceiling, or whatever, to allow moving the outlet box, I don't see anything wrong with that. I've been saved many times by the slop left in wiring by thoughtful electricians who have gone before me.

Caveat: Code Nazis don't like "slop" in the wiring, but there are ways to be both convenient and compliant. My favorite loophole is to fish the cable (presumed to be NM). I don't see anything that says you can't fish 4 or 5 extra feet of cable. If you're installing in the open, you have to secure the cable, but you could double back a few feet, form loops, etc., to your heart's content as long as you secure and protect the cable properly.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008