Another question

Users who are viewing this thread

solutions

Reaction score
Are there any problems with making a 10/2 cable longer than it has to be,for future plans that will require the moving of an appliance? In this case @ 3 or 4 feet longer ,so when that appliance is moved it's just a matter hooking wires and a few wire nuts!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Are there any problems with making a 10/2 cable longer than it has to be,for future plans that will require the moving of an appliance? In this case @ 3 or 4 feet longer ,so when that appliance is moved it's just a matter hooking wires and a few wire nuts!

As long a the whip (that part from the last support to the appliance) is no longer than six feet I don't see anything wrong with that type of installation

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think we need more detail. If you want the extra length from the wall to the appliance, JW has OK'd that.

If you just want to coil up 3 or 4 feet of extra wire in the wall or ceiling, or whatever, to allow moving the outlet box, I don't see anything wrong with that. I've been saved many times by the slop left in wiring by thoughtful electricians who have gone before me.

Caveat: Code Nazis don't like "slop" in the wiring, but there are ways to be both convenient and compliant. My favorite loophole is to fish the cable (presumed to be NM). I don't see anything that says you can't fish 4 or 5 extra feet of cable. If you're installing in the open, you have to secure the cable, but you could double back a few feet, form loops, etc., to your heart's content as long as you secure and protect the cable properly.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks