Another question: generator power necessary for 1/2 hp pump jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
12 gauge is perfect.
As it happens everytime there is power outage from storms, a couple were found dead from carbon monoxide after hurricane Matthew somewhere in Florida. The generator was running from the garage. The news article didn't say if the door was opened, closed or partially open. After hurricane Wilma another family was killed because the generator was running outside an open window. The CO was pulled into the home.

50 ft is the recommended distance a running generator should be from the home.

A generator can run outside in the weather. No electronics to worry about but since yours has an inverter it probably can get wet but running with a heavy wind driven rain may not be a good idea. Does the manual mention this? I would build a wood box form with 2x4 and screw down plywood on the top keeping and maybe oneside to keep wind driven rain out of it. Keep three sides open and the side piece of plywood leave a gap off the ground to allow plenty of air flow.

I found this on line?
http://www.gentent.com/default.asp

RGS

Reaction score
DonL. That first photo looks pretty simple and effective. I may give it a try. I'm thinking if I gave it a plywood bottom the weight of the generator should keep it from taking off.

Yes, WorthFlorida, I saw that Gentent online but it's awfully expensive, especially in our little Canadian dollars. Generator manual says not to run in rain and snow - a drawback, I guess, of the inverter. Seems a bit counter intuitive since rain and snow generally accompany generator conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

RGS

Reaction score
I thought you all might be interested in this. Had my electrician install a separate duplex plug for my pump and another duplex plug from the input box outside for generator power so I could switch the pump over if the power went out - yes, I know a transfer switch is cleaner but it and the electrician's time to wire it in would approach $1,000. (I'm using a 50 foot 12/3 cable from the generator to the inlet box and another 30 feet of 10/3 cable from the inlet box into the house.)

I tried out the pump with a watt meter to measure the power draw and was surprised to discover that it draws only 1100 watts with no additional startup surge (it's a Myers 1/2 HP shallow well jet pump). I thought the inrush might double 1100 watts, but I guess not with this pump. When I tried the pump on the generator, the Yamaha EF3000iesb never even went out of econ mode, at least the sound never increased. Since I'll have up to an additional 2400 watts available, when the power goes out I'll run extension cords to the fridge, computer system, TV and a few additional items off the other outlet that the pump will be plugged into. But based on all this I guess the Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generators would have worked for the pump though without the power for the additional items.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks