Another pipe vibration mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

Augeydoggy

Reaction score
The cold water pipes are vibrating randomly and frequently, and I am looking for the source. There is a toilet fill valve that acts suspiciously (sometimes waits a minute or two before starting the fill), so I shut it off, and I have shut off the ice maker in case it's involved. That seems to have reduced the frequency and volume considerably. Will keep monitoring, then turn them back on one at a time.

Meanwhile, in examining the pipes I found a connection that at some point had problem. This was created when an addition was put on and old pipes joined with new; there is a reducer that connects a 1/2" to an 3/4" (actually expanding not reducing), and also tees. There is a large buildup of calcified sediment all around the reducer, but I don't see any evidence of current leaking. It is in a very low crawl space, and there is no dampness on the the concrete floor there or on the pipe. But could this somehow be involved as well in the vibration problem?
2015-04-07 13.05.08.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
It will no doubt start leaking again at some point. The noise is probably from a bad flapper and the fill valve may need work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks