Another one for the style police: Exterior hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm doing an entranceway "beautification" project. Painting the front porch, refinishing the front door, and spiffing up the hardware.

Hardware includes door trim (handle lockset, letter box, kickplate, knocker), as well as a hanging pendant light fixture.

Question is, what do you think about putting a hardware style on a house that doesn't exactly "match". My house is a brick Georgian colonial, and I am thinking of installing an Arts & Crafts pendant fixture, and going with a black oil-rubbed bronze finish for the door hardware. The door hardware finish would match the pendant fixture.

98% of colonials I've seen, and the majority of homes in my neighborhood, have the usual bright yellow brass hardware and fixtures. It would be "different" (good) but would it be yucky or tacky to go with the black hardware and Arts & Crafts fixture?

All opinions welcomed, pro or con. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A colonial would be more likely to have wrought iron than brass so your oiled bronze is probably closer to reality. My thought is if you like it, its fine.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bright yellow brass probably originated in the antebellum south when they had slaves to polish it. North of the Mason-Dixon line the colonials were too busy trying to feed themselves and keep warm to worry about polishing brass.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob,

Always enjoy your responses. You have a way with words.

Paul

Prashster

Reaction score
If yr neighborhood is a new one, the 'polished brass' fixtures are most likely builder spec standards. So, don't put too much stock into them when gauging your own style.

Black, wrought iron-esque fixtures are appropriate in Colonial styles.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input folks. The homes in this area were built from 1920 - 1955 (ours built 1955). Need to convince the wife that black is "OK", even what she sees around us is polished brass.

Prashster

Reaction score
I despise polished brass too. But then again, today's brushed nickel could easily become tomorrows 'polished brass'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks