Another leveling the tub thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

thunderhead

Reaction score
I have read several of the threads on leveling a tub. I have a steel tub that the finish is worn and rusty. I was going to use the Rustoleum kit to paint it but am thinking I may now go with a fiberglass tub. I may still use the steel if I can get positive feedback on the Rustoleum. It would be easier than moving tubs up and down to the second floor. I read a lot about putting a mortar base under to keep it from braking and to level it. I see the new tub advertising a sump pad that goes underneath, does this replace the mortar bed?
Now for the leveling part. My tub is about 3/8" out of level, running away from the drain. Once I put the stringer up level there will be a 3/8" gap at one end. What can I do about this? First I will have to address the structural part, can't have it hanging there with a 3/8 gap. If someone sits on the edge it will probably brake or crack. The next thing is the cosmetic factor. My floor is going to be vinyl, only .125 thick so it won't cover a 3/8 gap. Any help appreciated.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
A. Rebuild subfloor to allow for a self leveling lift or pour. ( meeting substrate prep requirments of SLC Mfg.) Ardex makes a super strong version called liquid backerboard.

Dont want to or cant afford to upgrade subfloor????

B. Set tub level and supported in mortar bed on existing floor and carefully shim the 3/8 " out edges of tub with composite shims to support and then add more subfloor buildup to get you past the 3/8 gap. after you prep for and lay vinyl you will have an unlevel floor @ tub reveal.

C. A combination of A/B......

Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks