another leaking toliet question

Users who are viewing this thread

ineedhelp

Reaction score
okay - we have a crane toliet. the overfill tube assembly broke, so we went to home depot and bought a fluidmaster replacement kit, which included a new flap. Everything worked fine for a couple of months until recently. We are slowly losing water in the tank (I marked where it was after a flush and would check back later and the water level was down). This causes the toliet to run and replace the lost water. So, from everything I read, it has been suggested to replace the flap. Went to home depot and bought another fluidmaster flap. Still having the same problem. Is there anything else I should be doing or looking at? Is there a way to create a better seal between the flap and the bottom of the tank? Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I bet you put the refill tube down inside the overflow instead of using the clip provided for the refill tube. This will cause the water to siphon out of the tank. The end of the refill must end above the water level of the tank.

John

ineedhelp

Reaction score
I bet you put the refill tube down inside the overflow instead of using the clip provided for the refill tube. This will cause the water to siphon out of the tank. The end of the refill must end above the water level of the tank.

John

Unless, I'm misunderstanding the terminology, the answer is no. I've attached a pic of what it looks like inside the tank. Any other suggestions or things to look at?

IMG_2268..JPG

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Unless, I'm misunderstanding the terminology, the answer is no. I've attached a pic of what it looks like inside the tank. Any other suggestions or things to look at?

View attachment 10638

The end of the refill tube is below the water level in tank, that is where your problem is. There is a clip that comes with the fluid master ballcock that goes on the overflow tube and holds the refill above the water level.

John

ineedhelp

Reaction score
The end of the refill tube is below the water level in tank, that is where your problem is. There is a clip that comes with the fluid master ballcock that goes on the overflow tube and holds the refill above the water level.

John

Thanks John! I cut some of the excess tubing and it is now above the water line. So far so good. Crossing my fingers that this will solve my problem!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks