Another Gutter Question

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Verdeboy, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

The slope on the roof I just guttered is very small, and the shingles overhang 1/4" at most. As a result, a lot of water is dripping behind the gutters instead of in the gutters.

I did some research on this and found that for low-sloped gutters, you should install the top of the gutters behind the drip edge. I don't see how this is possible with the hangers I used. I screwed the hangers as high as possible--but that was still just below the drip edge. Are there other hangers that allow you to go higher, so the gutters will be behind the drip edge?

I also learned that another way of dealing with low-sloped roofs is to screw in a narrow piece of flashing behind the drip edge that overlaps into the gutter. Does that sound right?
  2. Livin4Real

Livin4Real New Member

The flashing is the easiest way to correct the problem. Just get some roll flashing and cut it in half lengthwise then shove under the starter strip (very first row put down) so it's between the first row and the decking, and let it hang out over the gutter, usually no nails will be required if it's pushed up under the first row tight enough.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Thanks.

Any ideas on how best to install gutters under the drip edge if this scenario occurs again?
  4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

On alum. gutters there's a clip that allows you to do this. It has a long screw angled down and back and allows you to put the back flange of the gutter under the drip edge up to about an inch deep. I don't think there's the same for plastic.

http://guttersupply.com/p-hangers-k-style-quick-screw.gstml

You can do a similar thing with a screw hanger, but then the screw also goes thru the drip edge which can allow water to follow the screw...

http://guttersupply.com/p-hanger-k-style-standard.gstml
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  5. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Nice website. Thanks
  6. Livin4Real

Livin4Real New Member

Very few roofers still use drip edge in our area nowadays. If the starter strip is layed right there isn't a need for it. Another tip, don't bend the flashing hanging over the gutter (so it's pointing down) and it won't be nearly as visible from the road, obviously it shouldn't be bent up at all. :)
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007