Another gurgle scenario

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by wuptdo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. wuptdo

wuptdo New Member

Experts,

I've done a bunch of searching and reading. My conclusion is plumbing installations are as unique as people. I too have a gurgle. Shower/tub gurgles only when the 1st flr sink is used. Now, I must say I have an old house that I bet was never vented properly in the first place. I've attached a picture.

Some notes:

"white" pvc is 2"
    "off color" PVC is 1.5"
    waste is 4" cast iron to septic

I tried to trace the current vent pipe but not sure if it's clear. It offshoots from the cast iron in basement, out the house sill? and 3/4 up the side of the house. There is no vent for the 1st flr sink which appears to be the source of the shower/tub gurgle. Any ideas? I know it's a mess. An AAV on the 1st floor sink?

Live in NH.

Attached Files:

2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

That's a busy picture... :rolleyes:
    Washer machine trap must get siphoned every time it drains. Hard to tell what else is going on. Text in pic is too small to read. Can we bother you for more pics from differnet angles¿
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

That system was assembled by someone who had heard, and believed, that anyone can do plumbing, and who needs codes and inspections. Above the tub trap there is a tee. Where do the two pipes, at the tee, go? I assume one of them is the actual tub/shower drain but what is the other one, probably the vertical one.
  4. wuptdo

wuptdo New Member

More images...

Here are some other angles. I'll modify the first image with bigger text tonight. Hope this helps. And yes! I forgot. The washing machine discharge overflows!

Attached Files:

5. wuptdo

wuptdo New Member

I concede this. Hopefully the new images help.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Get that washer line overflowing then take off the cleanout plug at the end of the cast iron and see if the pipe is clogged and holding water.
  7. wuptdo

wuptdo New Member

bigger text...

...more legible.

Attached Files:

8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure if you understand yet. What you have is not even worthy of being called plumbing.

I'm quite sure any competent plumber would start by cutting out everything there and re-piping all of it.
    It's really what needs to be done.
  9. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

In short, yes, an air admittance valve on the first floor sink. :confused:
  10. wuptdo

wuptdo New Member

OK, thanks!
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It would probably be a good idea to enter these pictures in the "Pig Slop Plumbing Contest."

Entering the contest makes you eligable to win a $25 Gift Certificate to White Castle.

2009 Pig Slop Plumbing Contest