Another garbage disposal that is too low?

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had granite countertops installed today with a new undermount sink, and now it appears my garbage disposal may be too low for the drain coming out of the wall. Does it look like I need to move my "tee" in the wall lower? Currently the bottom of the disposal discharge is 13 inches above the cabinet floor.

(BTW, I know that there is no purple primer on the PVC pipes...it was like that when I bought the house. Honest!)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0071.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 7,991

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's pretty typical.
Plumbers used to plumb for 7.5" deep sinks. Many Granite counters are going with 10" undermounts making the outlet of the disposer too low. It's hard to drain a disposer when the water has no place to go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The disposer water having "no place to go" is only part of the problem. Water standing in the disposer can cause corrosion, odor, and vibration when it is turned on until that water is pumped into the drain. The tee in the wall should be lowered, but it would have been MUCH easier before the countertop was installed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That dip in the dishwasher drain hose may collect water and be an odor problem. Does your code allow you to NOT have an air gap???

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
From Virginia Plumbing code:

802.1.6 Domestic dishwashing machines.
Domestic dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap or air break into a standpipe or waste receptor in accordance with section 802.2, or discharge into a wye-branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink or the dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder. The waste line of a domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder shall connect to a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter.

It would appear that it is sufficient to securely fasten the dishwasher discharge hose to the underside of the counter. Now, what that means exactly, I'm not certain. I am surprised, if I did need an air gap, that the granite supplier didn't drill a hole for one, seeing how he is the Angie's list #1 rated granite supplier in my area.

I will be lowering the galvanized steel tee by using my Sawzall today, and cutting it down within the confines of a drawer cabinet. This will not be fun or easy.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
So your code does not require the air gap.. The best granite installer..at least around here....knows bubkus about plumbing and would never volunteer an extra hole. You have to specify exactly what you want'

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have been very angry at the granite guy if he had drilled the extra hole and then you did not need it. Water in the dishwasher hose will NOT create an odor problem because there is no way for air to circulate through it. In fact, it ALWAYS has water in the portion of it BEFORE the high loop, where it is fastened to the countertop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks