Another closet flange issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Interlodge

Reaction score
newbie to board. Redoing a basis bathroom. I have read here that I really should think about things like floor heights and flanges before I get too far into the job, so I'm trying. I have 3" copper toilet waste pipe with bronze flange that sat above a 5/8 plywood subfloor with Luann ply and linoleum floor. sub ply has some isolated damage. My thinking is to rip out the whole subfloor, unsweat the flange, replace complete subfloor with 7/8 plytanium and appropriate blocking, install ditra membrane and tile and sweat on new bronze flange. The 3" copper was luckily left a touch long originally with the flange seated deeper on it than necessary (about 3/8 inch past a normal stop if the fitting had one), and the new flange has a touch more extension, so hopefully the new assembly will fit without modification. Won't know exactly til I have it off. If it isn't long enough what are my options? fit a copper coupling with a small stub into the flange? I don't mind a bit of work to get it right, but am I just making unnecessary work, like going the extra steps to make sure the flange is above the tile? Would anyone say it easier and just as good to cut it back and switch to plastic? . any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's long enough, I'd leave the copper. I'd also go the extra mile (it shouldn't be much work) to put the flange where it is designed to be. You'll need a good torch to solder that. Course, swapping to pvc would be fine, too. While the price of scrap copper has dropped some, it's still probably worth it to turn it in for some cash if you have some left over.

WRT the subflooring, did you also check the deflection ratings of the joists? Sounds like you are going to have a good subfloor, but without adequate joists for tile, it might be for naught.

Interlodge

Reaction score
Joists are 2x10 on 11 1/2 span, 16oc. All specs out for the tile.
I'm thinking the hardest part might be unsweating the existing flange, and I do hope the tube is long enough but it sounds like it is worth the extra work if I have to add the coupling and stub to extend it and do it right. Like you said, not so much work considering the scope of the overall bathroom makeover

Interlodge

Reaction score
got the subfloor up this am and also unsweated the flange (easier than I predicted). The existing copper terminated in a 90 el and then a short stub to the flange, not the street el direct to flange that I thought it was. That makes it easier as I don't have to try to fit the coupling and very short stub in an almost to short to combine distance. Now, just unsweat stub and replace with longer.
Now I'm thinking I might even reposition flange several inches to the right to give me more vanity space to fit a full 48" vanity. (and better balanced clearances, 18 inch even each side from center ) Looks like it just will take unsweating existing vertical el and turning it/replacing with one on the horizontal and then attaching a street el vertically, then the stub and flange. If I do that, does that sound like the best way. Have a call in to my plumber as it might just be simpler to have him do the work but I'll see when he can get to it. Any other better ideas or am I on the right track.

Interlodge

Reaction score
by the way, there sure is a lot of solder in one of those 3 inch joints. With no access from below, I don't see how one would not start a fire if I hadn't pulled floor, at least around it, to take necessary precautions. A lot of solder dripped out on my wet towels.

Interlodge

Reaction score
so, running into the normal remodel issues. As others have mentioned, tough to find short length of 3" copper, Supply house has 5' lengths min. Will try recycle place tomorrow. Can get on **** but really don't want to wait. Hopefully my plumber calls tomorrow and has some leftover and can do the job saving me time and hassle even if it costs a bit. Worth it as one joint to be unsweated and turned to horizontal is right next to a joist.
otherwise does it make sense to just cut it at a convenient spot, use a mission or similar shielded coupling and switch to the PVC. Sure seems easier but I have absolutely no access to this once I redo the floor unless I tear it up so I want it to be as close to bulletproof as possible. Any thoughts?

Interlodge

Reaction score
Great Idea from this board.... local recycling place sold me 3 feet of copper dwv pipe, two brand new copper els and a coupling, all for less than 20$. Would never of thought of that myself, thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks