Another ceiling fan problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rburt5, Jul 10, 2007.

1. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I recently bought a house with a remote control operated ceiling fan. Everything on the remote works fine. However, the fan is also tied into the light switch on the wall. The light switch will only turn the fan (and light) off. It won't turn it back on. Is there a simple wiring mix up, or do I need a different type wall switch?

Also, if I leave the wall switch in the on position and use the remote control to turn off the fan, it doesn't turn all the way off. It continues to hum and turn the blades very, very slowly.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Any chance you are using a dimmer switch as your wall switcy? I tried that with a remote-controlled fan and some of the fan's features did not work until I swapped in a standard wall switch.
  3. rburt5

rburt5 Member

It has a standard wall switch. However, the remote control has a dimmer built into it.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sounds like the control board may be bad. I'd call the tech support people at the manufacturer to discuss with them.
  5. rburt5

rburt5 Member

I called the technical support people and they said that my model of fan cannot be controlled by the wall switch. He said to hang the remote control beside the light switch. I'm just going to buy a new fan. Thanks for your help.
  6. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Thats a true statement, however that doesn't answer the question on why the remote doesn't turn the fan all the way off. Buy a different brand next time.

Rancher