another Cast iron Connection Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
I removed the plug from this cast iron Tee. What I found was no threads. Maybe there were threads at one time, but all that was in there now was what appeared to be lead. Is that possible? Have you ever heard of that?

It turns out that this is a cast iron sanitary tee. I was going to install a 6" threaded nipple into it. Unfortunately due to the lack of threads that cant be done. I can cut the stack and put a new tee in there, or I could just slip a 4" to 2" rubber no hub type fitting over the whole damn thing and call it a day.

I tried the 4" rubber fitting with a 3 foot PC of 2 inch PVC pipe complete with p trap and a piece of riser. Dry fitted. Ran 5 gallons of water down the riser and it worked perfectly. no leak at the rubber fitting.

Just curious though. Why was there lead in there? Do you think someone thried to seal it up that way?

Attachments

• chris 2.jpg
    chris 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 523

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

IT is NOT a plug, it is a cap. The lead was to seal the piece of pipe into the tee, so the cap could be screwed onto it. IF you removed the pipe, it was NOT supposed to have threads on it, nor was it supposed to come out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks