Another basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I'm roughing in a basement bathroom. Shower, toilet, sink. I'm good with the sink but I've got a few questions regarding the underground portion.

In the picture, you can see the rough idea of what I want to do. I have to cut the 4-4-3 WYE into the main horizontal run. From there I'm wondering if I can use another WYE to drain the 2" P-trapped shower drain as pictured.

There is a 2-2-1.5 WYE laying in the approximate location I wish to vent. This will be swapped for a 2-2-2 and vented all the way to the roofline with no less than 2".

Now, to further complicate things - The main stack enters the floor visible along the wall in the top right of the picture. I'm going to move the main stack and drop it into the horizontal run with a 4-4-4 WYE just downstream of the proposed WYE for the new toilet/shower. Into the vertical run of this relocated stack , I want to drain the bathroom sink and the washing machine. They will both be dumped into the vertical stack and vented. I will use 2" for the washing machine.

Hopefully this makes sense. Do I have a handle on this?

Thanks so much for any help. I can attempt to sketch in what I'm thinking if my description doesn't make sense.

Scott

edit - the closet assembly is sitting on a 4" 45deg just to prop it in place - that's what you see sticking out the bottom there.

Attachments

• basement 001 (Large).jpg
    basement 001 (Large).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The first question is WHY are you capping the abandoned line? A plumber would just cut the pipe, start from there with a completely new system and forget about what was there. Your project is too extensive for us to try to walk you through it and even hope for you to do it exactly as we describe it.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
There will be nothing entering the horizontal run upstream of the new WYE that ties the toilet in. Rather than expose and remove the 4" pipe right to the wall, possibly encountering the weeping tile I figured I'd just cap it and leave it be.

In effect, I am cutting into the new pipe and routing everything new as suggested.

I've done a lot of reading and it looks like I am violating a fundamental rule by running the shower drain into what is in effect the closet trap arm. Does it make any difference that it's only a few inches of 3" arm dumping immediately into a 4" run. Also the shower run will encounter a 2" vent before it hits the 3" portion.

Attachments

• basement 001-3.jpg
    basement 001-3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 422

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
How does this look?

We have the main stack relocated, stub in through floor for closet, shower (2") and vent (2") which will go right up to the roof. The test cap on the stack is for a 2" washer trap. This will be vented and tied in above the flood level of the washer.

I have a feeling I'm in that category where I almost know enough to get into trouble. I've solved MANY problems with the 50's era cast stack that was re-routed horizontally across the home when there were sanitary sewers put in around 20 years ago. The main floor group and upstairs bath group now flow nearly straight down through the new 4" stack and out to the road.

As long as I'm solving more problems than I'm creating I guess I'm winning.

Attachments

• basement 002 (Medium).jpg
    basement 002 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 451
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks