Another Air Gap Question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason C.

Reaction score
I successfully installed a new kitchen faucet today, and for good measure replaced the airgap.

I thought I had done everything right but when I ran the dishwasher, during the rinse cycle water started pouring out of the gap vent. I could see that some water was properly draining into the disposer, however. But there was enough water coming up through the vent cap to make a mess. The water was hot and clean.

Below the sink, the air gap has one stem going straight down which I connected with the existing hose to the disposer and a second stem coming off at an angle which I connected to smaller line running to the dishwasher.

Any suggestions as to the cause? Thanks in advance for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
air gap

The most likely reasons are that you either bent the hose to the disposer, or the new air gap is longer so the hose to the disposer has a dip in it.

Jason C.

Reaction score
Still leaking

I carefully checked the hoses, no kinks. I even realigned the hoses slightly to minimize any bends from the gap to the disposer. It is still backing up through the vent. I then went and fished out the old air gap from the trash and reinstalled that model figuring going back to the way it was before would do it, or maybe I just had a bad product. Still, the water backed up.

Time to call a professional - too bad something silly like this is the reason I call a plumber. If he laughs his a-- off at me, I'll deserve it. I'm about to turn my toolbox in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks