Another 4" waste pipe & closet flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

Crafty876

Reaction score
Hi All:

Terry I "Love" the forum and have really found alot of great info regarding my bathroom reno on the site... But I still have a bit of a twin horn dilemma regarding my 4" waste pipe and closet flange...

So here is the deal... In the original bathroom it appears that I had a 4" lead pipe and flange that had been beaten all to hell and in fact the the flange had separated from the pipe. there doesn't appear to be any oakum or solder present and the pipe seems to just narrow up to the closet flange. In any case a new ABS flange is in order and I know my two options are the twist and seal flange, which I located at my HD in Canada or cutting the pipe then coupling a 4" ABS waste pipe on to the lead pipe... Anyway to make a long story short my only real option is to cut the waste pipe and join an ABS pipe to it...

I don't think the cutting is going to be too much of a problem providing the chain for the cutter is less than an inch thick. But I am concerned that i will be coupling the ABS pipe to the lead pipe correctly.... What has been suggested is that I use a 4" rubber sleave that is about 6 inches long and has a hose clamp at each end. It seems like it will work to me but seeing as this is going to be under wood, cbu, a heated floor and $12 a sf tile I wanted to check with some people in the 'know' before I proceed.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Regards,

Kevin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you really want to connect to the lead pipe. Note, the unreinforced rubber coupling is not spec'ed for above ground...you'd need a no-hub connector. I think that the correct way to do this would be to cut off the pipe back where it is cast iron, then use a no-hub to transition to the abs. See what the pros have to say.

Crafty876

Reaction score
Thanks Jim:

I was a little leary of that connection. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post what I am looking at. From what I remember at the base what I think is a lead pipe there is a cast iron pipe that ends in a knuckle... So I assume I have to break out all the lead to the cast knuckle and then union the ABS from there..

Thanks

And I'll post photos....

Kevin

Crafty876

Reaction score
Finally had enough light to grab a few snapshots this AM the first photo is the mangled lead pipe in all its glory. The second picture is where the lead waste pipe joins to what I think is the cast pipe about a foot below.

Unfortunately, the cast iron pipe is going to make a sharp right hand turn and and some additional floor raising and perhaps destroying some of my basement ceiling will have to be done before I can get at the cast iron portion of the pipe.... :mad::mad:

Attachments

• toilet02S.jpg
    toilet02S.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 781
  • toilet04s.jpg
    toilet04s.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 638

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An alternative might be to remove the lead from the CI hub, then use a Fernco donut to an abs stub then install the new flange once you get the new floor in.

As I understand it (and I'm not a pro!), there's probably a brass sleeve leaded into that hub that the lead is attached to. They MIGHT make a no-hub the proper size to connect from it to standard abs, but I don't know. Getting the lead off of the sleeve is possible, but maybe a pain.

If you can get to a straight portion of CI, transitioning to abs is easy. Rent a soil pipe cutter (snap cutter) and once you have access, it takes all of about 5-minutes with most of that trying to figure out how to do it.

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crafty876

Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help everyone but I think it is time for me to face some facts. I really don't know what the easiest most effecient option is whether it is fernco donut or cut a CI pipe. In any case I think I am going to leave this to someone with a few hours more experience than I have...

I am okay gluing a flange to an abs pipe after the most of the work is done but there is absolutly no way I am qualified to be cutting something as hard and brittle as 70 year old cast iron on my own...

Thanks for all the advice everyone....

Regards,

Kevin

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay! But make sure that ABS flange has a stainless steel ring on it!

toiletflange-abs-stainless-steel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks