Annoying tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Stark Rhavyn

Reaction score
We we going to start bathing our kid in the tub (rather than the kitchen sink) when I discover that the stopper in the guest bathroom (that's rarely if ever been used in the 7 years we've live here) was stuck open. It's a pull-and-turn style stopper but seems to be slightly different from others I've seen online when I tried to research this problem.
DSC02739.JPG
It has a screw in the center that you can remove to then also remove the handle and stopper itself. DSC02737.JPG
But I can't seem to get the stuck stem or cylinder out. I've tried CLR for 24 hours, then WD-40. But the thing really doesn't have anything a wrench can grab to turn it loose.
So I figured I'd have to change the whole drain. First I tried a trick I saw on youtube where you take two pliers to turn the drain to remove it. That didn't work, just ended up warping a good pair of needle nose pliers.
DSC02745.JPG
Then I sprang for the special drain removal too. Also doesn't work. The stopper stem is too tall and keeps the tool from being able to in there far enough to grab the spokes of the drain.
DSC02744.jpg
So now I'm at a loss. What can I do to fix/change out this tub drain stopper?
DSC02748.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks